AmericanHomesteader...Life in the Desert totally Off-Grid!!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Life is back to normal here at the homestead, DW is feeling fine, kids in school and im working on the house. Been getting alot of free nice pallets there handy for alot of things. lol yes i learned about the cochins after getting them, at least there good for meat. We will look at getting some egg layers. Cant wait till we get some baby turkeys.

Will post more later DW is doing laundry guess i better get back to work!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well it was a busy day here on the homestead, got our place good enough to move into tomorrow, it is still a long ways from being finished but will beat sleeping in a tent :) Our turkey hen has 10 eggs laid in her nest so far and a chicken has 3 eggs in a nest, so by the end of april we should have some baby turkeys!

Built the wife a kitchen base cabinet with a counter top today out of pallets, has 4 shelfs in it, looks rustic we like it. going to make some shelfing units and bathroom cabinet out pallets, i'm using good solid oak ones lol.

DW seeds she planted are all coming up, the kids have 4 day school weeks for the next 2 weeks out here, so i will put them to work!!

will post more later.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow, I have missed a lot! Glad the wife is feeling better and that the plants are coming up! Good deal on the pallets, and congrats on being able to get in the house and out of the tent! I admire you guys for what you're doing and how you're going about it! Ya'll are AWESOME! It's great that you're having so much fun doing it too! Congrats on the new lifestyle :D

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Wow, I have missed a lot! Glad the wife is feeling better and that the plants are coming up! Good deal on the pallets, and congrats on being able to get in the house and out of the tent! I admire you guys for what you're doing and how you're going about it! Ya'll are AWESOME! It's great that you're having so much fun doing it too! Congrats on the new lifestyle :D
Thank you, its been rough but its getting better or maybe we are getting tougher :lol: i started a blog at http://homesteading-arizona.blogspot.com/ with pictures! please feel free to look at it and post :)

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well its been a productive day here at the homestead, got our doors up at the house, ie.. sheets lol, our turkey is sitting on 15 eggs. and one chicken has 5 eggs in her nest.

The kids have the next 2 fridays off from school, gots lots of chores they can do. I made an old timey looking bathroom cabinet with a sink from pallets, it turned out pretty well. What a pin in the butt taking pallets apart, i could never get a nail to stay in like them pallet nails do!

Everything is great and getting closer to being totally SS, We are getting use to living off grid now, we been living off grid now for almost 6 weeks!!

I have pictures posted at my blog if anyone is interested http://homesteading-arizona.blogspot.com/

Will post more later :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love seeing the picture's of your progress! Bookmarked it so I can keep checking in ;)

My family and I lived in a converted polebarn for several years. Done right, they are nice and warm in winter and stay fairly cool in summer (ours was WAY north, so mileage may vary in AZ in the summer :lol: )

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We went to a garden expo yesterday in Elfrida, it was informative, met a nice couple there that raises goats and makes cheese, she gave DW a reciepe that we are going to try on making goat cheese. Our hen turkey has 20 eggs in her nest she is sitting on. I need to get another pen built for the tom before the chicks hatch.

Today is real windy here with gust 40+ mph guess wont be much getting done outside lol. Getting more done on the house, we all have a bedroom now and it sure beats the tent lol, i will post more pictures in my blog.

Everyone is doing fine here at the homestead, havent seen a snake yet, been watching for them tho, everyone says there coming out.

Will post more later!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:woot on the eggs, and I bet the expo was very informative.... :D