america's health goals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick wrote:
yup lets smack and beat the next generation into thinking just like us....that is all that is being said.

there is nothing wrong with pointing out mistakes in our growin up years....it is when we are smacked or berated into having to think just like the adults doing the discipline is where the problem hits.

control freaks. gotta control the thoughts of the young and the thoughts of the nation. (remember it is for everyone's good...as they see it)---lets make carbon copy control freaks....yea that help! that is the answer!

UGH
OMG!

I have to bow out now. If I continue I will go nuclear in this thread..LOL
FarmerChick said:
read Scott--he was smacked

and mind control and verbal abuse is considered teaching by many

only sense I read here is that if people don't act or respond in accordance with RULES set by others they are useless.

whatever, I have to get out of this
So now you are criticizing how others raise their children?

How verbally abusive of you.....:old

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
And rather judgmental!
Yeah... "the mind numbing judgements of some" on how people raise their kids...just gets me to the core......

Its almost........reductive.....

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hikerchick: i've been dealing with bureaucrats for a long time, so i've gotten very very practiced at how to argue my point and remain as calm as possible. if i hadn't, i would be crying in lots of politicians offices on an almost constant basis. that's just tiring!

Wifezilla said:
Not everyone in the inner city is getting shot at. Because it can't happen in one neighborhood doesn't mean it can't happen in another. As my examples showed, it is already happening.
you are right, there are options for some. like i said, there are levels of poverty and situation. in some places, AMAZING things can be done. i, luckily, get to be involved in a lot of them. but the reverse is true as well that, just because it CAN be done in one place, doesn't mean that it can be done in all places. that's what we have to be sensitive too.

Slinkytoys

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'll tell you my problem. We have 85 acres in the Black Forest of Colorado (by Colorado Springs). In return for FREE use of a 1300 sq. ft. 1/2 house with woodburning fireplace, 2 HUGE bedrooms, dining room, kitchen with all appliances including dishwasher, 7 big closets and yard (garden if they want to have one), I need a couple to help caretake the property. You know, feed the horses hay once a day and fill their water trough. Feed the chickens and cats and dogs. Check fences, repair if needed. Do snow removal (we have a tractor with blade and a Bobcat with snow blower). Oversee if my hubby and I go away for the weekend.
A couple works out best, with one as a stay at home.
Do you think we can find anyone????? HA! Everybody would love to live here, but no one wants to work. Or they want the free rent (which would be about $1000 a month plus a large salary. :barnie
Instead, we closed down our business and lessened our travels.
Didn't have this problem 8 years ago, we've had some wonderful caretakers who saved up enough money doing this to buy their own home! It's just sad.
Slinky

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yes- I am wondering what it has to do with America's health goals?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
abifae said:
holy moly, guys! i think we all need to take a step back, a deep breath, and remember that this is a discussion of meeting American health goals, not a street fight. ::deep breaths::
No doubt. Wow. The amount of can't do and negativity spewed makes me want to just close this thread.

Hikerchick, if you wanna start making lemonade, you need to see things in a more positive light. Farmerchick, thank you for backing out of the thread and pulling posts instead of keeping a fight going.

Auntie Zilla, thank you for limiting yourself to sarcasm :lol:

Bibliophile Birds, it actually started as "do people want to change their diet for health reasons". And, "no I'm too damned busy struggling to feed my family to care because I just want them eating" is a viable answer to that question. Not quite sure why it had to dissolve into a huge fight about whether or not they have a choice. Sure they do. Their choice is to take any food because that's the easiest available. It isn't right or wrong, but it's their choice.

The whole argument seems to be "everyone has a choice and if communities work together as has been done before, more choices will grow out of that" versus "no things are too bad to have choices". I've lived completely inner city. I've been homeless, in fact. So what. As far as I'm concerned, I chose both situations.

Scott, I'm totally with you! What most people need is to understand self responsibility. Life isn't fair. It's not supposed to be. Fair is a concept parents project upon infants to protect them from the world.

I never even gave MY concept of American health goals LOL. I figured it would take this to a political fight. Silly me. I even gave the I statements lecture! :hit
Well said, abifae! :clap

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
FarmerChick said:
You can't sit in judgement of the entire population of mankind and say there is never an excuse allowed.
Speaking of no excuses:

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualitieshis eternal power and divine naturehave been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Well, my translation indicates that this verse is talking about God's creation, that people seeing the visible qualities of an invisible creator are without excuse for knowing him.

Not that people are without excuses for being successful in life. In fact, everything I read in my New Testament is about Jesus feeding, healing and caring for the poor. He loved the poor. It was the self-satisfied, arrogant wealthy that he had a tough time with.

So, if we're going all religious in this conversation, let's try to keep it accurate at least.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Here's another quote that seems appropriate:
"We don't enjoy being disciplined. It always seems to cause more pain than joy. But later on, those who learn from that discipline have peace that comes from doing what is right."

There will always be those who say thus-and-such cannot be done. That doesn't mean that it actually can't be done, it just means that those who say it can't, won't be the ones doing it.
And there are also those saying it CAN be done, who HAVE done it and who ALSO think it could be really, really tough for other people to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.