Amish Friends

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i gave in too much last winter and so i'm fighting to get rid of the extra weight i put on. already down 10lbs, would like another 10 off before winter, but that isn't going to happen.

i feel a lot better already having done what i have. it made the latter part of the hot summer easier on me.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our Amish Friends are moving to Northern WV. Actually our Amish Friends Bother and his wife/childern have already moved. Amish is a little different kind of life style. Let me see if I can explain what I've learned. I can't use names on the internet or in public places because that would be very disrespectful to them.

I'll call our friends A for the husband and B for the wife and their 8 children 1 through 8.

Our friends brother to A - I'll call C and his wife I'll call D and their 5 childern I call 9 through 14 - OK got it?

Well A & C are bothers and B & D are sisters, so that makes 1 through 14 brothers or sisters or cousins. Now Amish will only wed other Amish unless 1 through 14 decide when they come of age to leave the Amish community and seek a life in the secular world. Which happens but is very rare. But it can happen it's up to the child when they become 15 or 16.

If they decide to stay in the Amish community they ofcourse will marry another Amish. But they can not marry a brother or sister or cousin.

So this is mainly why you see Amish communities pop up and then disappear. They or at least our Amish friends have only been here a short time and they are fixing to leave already because all of the other Amish families near them have already left and there are no other Amish close by for them to attend church with or for their children to marry. It's not because they find the place bad or anything like that. But the #1 responsibility of a parent is to teach them the Fear of the Lord and #2 is it to put the childern into an environment where they will choose a wife.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you ever do desire to get to know an Amish family, I would encourage to you to atleast try. You'll be amazed how much they will enrich you. Not money, but in just general understanding of some of your deepest thoughts to the understanding of life in general and what is my purpose in life.

I will truly miss our Amish friends, they will always have a very special place in my heart, the entire family. I know God had our paths cross for more than just one reason, their were multiple reasons.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll be heading to Amish country next weekend for a girls' weekend with sibs and my mother. They have good food, good flea markets and beautiful farms to see.

Where in WV are they moving? Likely close to PA or MD, which both have large Amish populations.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll be heading to Amish country next weekend for a girls' weekend with sibs and my mother. They have good food, good flea markets and beautiful farms to see.

Where in WV are they moving? Likely close to PA or MD, which both have large Amish populations.

Don't know the exact place but I do know they said it's not far either the ohio or pennsylvania state lines. So I suspect it's somewhere up in that sliver of west virginia that sits between ohio and Pennsylvania. I can say I've never been that far north in west virginia before either. From the map it looks cold up there brr...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Don't know the exact place but I do know they said it's not far either the ohio or pennsylvania state lines. So I suspect it's somewhere up in that sliver of west virginia that sits between ohio and Pennsylvania. I can say I've never been that far north in west virginia before either. From the map it looks cold up there brr...

Nah....the coldest part is near the eastern panhandle and a little north of it, where the larger mountains are located. The northern panhandle is about the same as where I live.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah....the coldest part is near the eastern panhandle and a little north of it, where the larger mountains are located. The northern panhandle is about the same as where I live.
Is there a big Amish community in the northern pan handle do you.know?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of....across the river in OH, maybe, but not in WV. Here's a little run down on Amish in WV~ https://amishamerica.com/amish-communities-west-virginia/

Plenty around our borders in OH, PA, MD and not as many in VA...mostly Mennonites in VA. We've got areas of Mennonites in WV as well, but not large communities like the Amish have.

I'm quite surprised to see pictures of Amish peoples faces. It's really disrespectful to take their picture.