Amish Friends

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife has developed a relationship with Amish lady well actually 2 Amish ladies that live right next door to each other. They have 12 chickens between the two families and are always short on eggs. So they bake my wife a loaf of bread and my wife gives them 3 dozen eggs. Same arragement holds true for Amish butter a block of butter for 3 dozen eggs.

This is like the perfect arrangement... I love the fresh baked bread, and butter both are delicious. I can tell the bread was baked in a wood stove because it has just a hint of smokey flavor. The bread is so good warmed up in the toaster and spread with Amish butter and local honey.
IMG_20180817_204817487.jpg

I'm thinking about giving them a couple of burbon red turkeys. I couldn't think of anyone better to give turkey chicks too. What a nice group of folks the Amish are. I love it when they pull up to my house in their horse and buggy, it's a really cool thing. I need to find time to spend more time with them, they can teach me so much that I would really like to learn.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CrealCritter, you are so lucky. When we lived in Indiana, they lived in the surrounding communities. They were always at the Steam Engine Shows. Please share whatever you learn from them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm jealous! No Amish around here (even though I do have a great neighbor on one side of me). I love bartering! And such a sweet idea to offer them some turkey poults. Fresh bread and butter does sound awesome!

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My wife has developed a relationship with Amish lady well actually 2 Amish ladies that live right next door to each other. They have 12 chickens between the two families and are always short on eggs. So they bake my wife a loaf of bread and my wife gives them 3 dozen eggs. Same arragement holds true for Amish butter a block of butter for 3 dozen eggs.

This is like the perfect arrangement... I love the fresh baked bread, and butter both are delicious. I can tell the bread was baked in a wood stove because it has just a hint of smokey flavor. The bread is so good warmed up in the toaster and spread with Amish butter and local honey.
View attachment 8176

I'm thinking about giving them a couple of burbon red turkeys. I couldn't think of anyone better to give turkey chicks too. What a nice group of folks the Amish are. I love it when they pull up to my house in their horse and buggy, it's a really cool thing. I need to find time to spend more time with them, they can teach me so much that I would really like to learn.
I envy you.. but that was the way things worked before things got way-way to complicated.