annaraven - more random update stuph

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Wow! That sounds great. Were they offering the class just to members of your hunting group or to others as well? Was there a limit on class size? When is it... as in when do we get to hear how it went?
If you want to PM me your request and you're in the SF Bay area, I can forward your email address to the guy. He said it's okay to invite friends who aren't on the list. There's a max of 10 people and a min of 4.

The class will be sometime in March or April but not sure when. He's moving to South California in May, so before then.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks AnnaRaven. I'm actually in Lexington, KY. I was just more curious about how he was setting up the classes. I'm fascinated that something like this is being offered in the SF area. I'm interested in how people are starting to be more aware of food and process in more metropolitan areas. I also noticed you said it was a hunting group? What and how do you hunt?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I'd like to do that class too. I'll bet they won't lose the head.
heeeeeeeey! hee hee hee hee

AnnaR this sounds great.

and for all you naysayers that thought i was making this up... note the use of sledgehammer:

How to slaughter a pig, sheep, cow or goat with a .22 rifle or pistol, sledgehammer,
thats what i'm talking about.

100-150lbs isnt that big but i'm guessing he's going for 'easy to handle' size.

you are gonna do great AR! be sure to ask if the pig is "really dead or is he fakin' it" after they cut the head off.... i'm telling you, that joke just never gets old.

;-)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Thanks AnnaRaven. I'm actually in Lexington, KY. I was just more curious about how he was setting up the classes. I'm fascinated that something like this is being offered in the SF area. I'm interested in how people are starting to be more aware of food and process in more metropolitan areas. I also noticed you said it was a hunting group? What and how do you hunt?
Back in MN, I did duck and deer hunting. Here, I haven't actually done any hunting yet, because I've been a little unsure of the local rules. That's why I joined the group. I know they do wild pig hunting as well as other stuff. Just not sure what all. I'm looking forward to doing some hunting this fall!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What youll get out of the training:

How to slaughter a pig, sheep, cow or goat with a .22 rifle or pistol, sledgehammer, or knife...and properly finish off a game animal that you may have performed a poor shot on...

How to immediately bleed the animal for making blood sausage and pudding

How to scald and scrape the fur off a pig:you didnt think those bacon and legs of ham you get from the Safeway came off a hairless pig, did you?

How to eviscerate the pig and retain its offal: making sure to not contaminate any meat with urine, bile, or feces

How to clean out the intestines and stomach for sausage-making

How to prepare prosciutto and Serrano ham

How to prepare a ribrack (makes a great sausage stuffed dish), boneless roast, and Boston butt

How to prepare a baby back ribs cut

How to prepare porkchops

How to make headcheese

How to make Irish crubeens and crispy-skinned pork roast

How to butcher a pig for ALL French, American, British or Italian cuts

How to properly package meat cuts

How to totally use your livestock or game and WASTE NOTHING!
They forgot to add that you will also get a day in the beautiful area around Half Moon Bay! :D
What a great opportunity for you; I look forward to reading all about it!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First off, Howdy! i've been reading bits and pieces of your journal! :) Second, how cool! first chickens, and now your getting mini goats and mini pigs, and your doing a hands on slaughter! *Sigh* I want to learn how to properly slaughter and process chickens and ducks and pigs and goats and sheep and such! The sledgehammer sounds really hands-on!

Good luck! looking forward to reading about how it went!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
First off, Howdy! i've been reading bits and pieces of your journal! :) Second, how cool! first chickens, and now your getting mini goats and mini pigs, and your doing a hands on slaughter! *Sigh* I want to learn how to properly slaughter and process chickens and ducks and pigs and goats and sheep and such! The sledgehammer sounds really hands-on!

Good luck! looking forward to reading about how it went!
Um, I'm not getting goats or pigs. I would love to have room for a mini goat but I don't. (Yet.)

But knowing how to do the pig slaughter is great because I may work out a deal with a farmer at some point to get ahold of a whole hog. Right now, I do have a half hog on its way to me but that was slaughtered at the farm and processed in a specialized shop. I am getting the pig jowl so I can do guanciale. (woot!) I'm also getting the leaf fat so I can do my own rendered lard. But maybe next year, I can get a whole hog and do the slaughtering and processing myself.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
They forgot to add that you will also get a day in the beautiful area around Half Moon Bay! :D
Well, it is a bay area group, so a lot of us go to Half Moon Bay just for fun. I love going there and riding horses along the ocean. One of my favorite things to do.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
ORChick said:
Well, it is a bay area group, so a lot of us go to Half Moon Bay just for fun. I love going there and riding horses along the ocean. One of my favorite things to do.
We used to go over that way a lot as well; so pretty! There is a farm just inland from San Gregorio (Hghy 84) with wonderful organic strawberries; I still miss those, I don't have a lot of luck with strawberries in my garden here :(