annaraven - more random update stuph

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Made yogurt yesterday with the cream-top milk and some store-bought yogurt (Fage) as a starter. After 8 hours, it wasn't acting like it was anywhere near setting. Set it to go longer. After 10 hours, it was still not setting at all. I put it into the fridge over night. I'm going to run to Whole Foods and buy new yogurt starter. But first I have to wait for the city inspector to get here to inspect the solar installation. We've got about a 2 hour window before it starts raining again (and this time for days). So, we're hoping he makes it soon. :fl I don't expect any problems with passing. Just can't wait to tell the power company that they owe *us* money!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The solar passed. Woohoo! And the inspector didn't seem at all concerned about the chickens. (Their coop is right next to the main electric panel.)

I went to Whole Foods and got my yogurt starter. And it was even on sale! Woot. I think the stuff I used as starter for this batch was too old. So I'm gonna redo the batch with good starter and see how it turns out. :fl

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Congrats on the solar passing! I don't recall, how big of a system is it?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Congrats on the solar passing! I don't recall, how big of a system is it?
5.17 kw. It's 22 panels, with 11 microinverters. It should take care of most of our electrical. Especially since we just installed a gas furnace to replace the electric baseboard heating, and added insulation and "sealed" the attic and crawlspace. It'll be nice to be able to heat the house without a $600 electric bill. It's not like it gets really cold here (low 30sF, 2-3C is rare), but we still had nearly $600 bill last month!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I'm sitting up, just trying to breathe... I hate colds. I already took meds. That didn't help for long. And just seemed like it made everything thicker and harder to get out. Ugh. So I'm sitting up. Trying a cough drop.

And feeling wakeful.

It's like, 2am and here I am.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I feel so much better about my electric bill now. It was only around $400 last month. I'd love to add solar panels, but I doubt my hubby would go for it. Our roof faces south, so it would be doable. I'd just want one tree down, and its dying anyway. (Plus since it's oak, it would give us some more firewood.

ETA: Hope you feel better soon.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I feel so much better about my electric bill now. It was only around $400 last month. I'd love to add solar panels, but I doubt my hubby would go for it. Our roof faces south, so it would be doable. I'd just want one tree down, and its dying anyway. (Plus since it's oak, it would give us some more firewood.

ETA: Hope you feel better soon.
We were surprised to find the solar panels will pay themselves off in <7 years! That's a great ROI for us. It's also far better than the 10-20 years we'd feared.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey baby, how are you feeling? did you get any sleep?

I hate colds. I already took meds. That didn't help for long
in our state the "real stuff" is behind the counter at the pharmacy. the stuff they have in the aisle doesnt work at all. my hubby is sick and the only thing that helped him is Tylenol Sinus (something).

stupid meth-heads ruining cold relief for everyone else... harumph.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I checked my stock of wormwood and feverfew in case any sick comes in the house LOL.

I cannot take any NSAIDS. They all make me hallucinate and then my liver shuts down. *sighs*

Oddly, wormwood doesn't hurt my liver til I've taken stupid big doses.

When I get sick, I'm on my own LOL.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Anna, do you have any eucalyptus oil around? It will help you breath better.
I remember one of the SS members mentioning putting some oil on a cloth and slipping it in their pillowcase.

I have had excellent results with an herbal blend called Four. Its for asthmatics, but works wonders on coughs and sinus issues.