annaraven - more random update stuph

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The funny thing is, I had the "behind the counter" stuff in the house already from when DS was sick. The doc told me to get some. I took it and it didn't really help. All it did was turn the thin running-down-the-back-of-my-throat-making-me-feel-like-drowning stuff into sludge running-down-the-back-of-my-throat-making-me-feel-like-drowning-in-mud.

I eventually went back to bed around 4:30. And of course got up to drive DS to school. Drank a ton of "vitamin water" on the trip and it helped thin things out enough that I could sleep when I got home.

I just now woke up. I'm trying to decide if I should try venturing out (today is errands day, including picking up my farmshare) or just stay home. Not sure which one will improve how I feel. Sometimes getting out to get fresh air helps. OTOH - not so sure I want to spread whatever this is to anyone else. Maybe I'll compromise and just drive the two blocks to the walgreens and pick up some vicks vaporub. I'm thinkin' that might help.

ETA: Thanks for the suggestions and the well-wishes.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay - I went to the walgreens. Got some vitamin c, and some vicks vaporub. Now I'm sitting here drinking water with lemon juice, with the vicks rub on my throat and chest. The pharmacist recommended an antihistamine. Oh. I've got those in the house. Just didn't even think of trying that. So I took one and hope it works.

I feel so blech - but laying down doesn't work because of the drowning feeling...

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well the vicks and antihistamines and sleeping 20 hours straight seem to have helped. DH had frozen soup (heated in the microwave) for dinner. He was happy - raved about the soup.

Today, I'm not 'well' but I'm better. Even was awake enough to cook dinner - pancetta and chard with wild mushrooms. Right now it's cooking down to be used as a pasta sauce. I'll freeze the leftovers in one-meal bags as usual.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are on the mend. Takr care of yourself....spring is coming! We ALL NEED to be healthy! :O)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just signed up for the most awesome class!

Here's the description:

WARNING: This is the REAL THINGthis isnt a cold piece of meat on a slabthere WILL BE SQUEALING and the flesh being butchered will still be warm---IF youre SQUEAMISHDO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS!

If you want to GET OVER YOUR SQUEAMISHNESS and collect an honest understanding of how your meat gets to your table, and learn how to make sure you get a properly slaughtered and butchered pig on your plate, then DEFINITELY take this course!

If you're a recovering vegetarian or vegan, who just wouldn't feel right eating meat without TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR GETTING THAT MEAT ON THE TABLE and doing it WITH RESPECT TO THE ANIMAL, this is your chance...

Im offering a 1-day course on slaughtering and butchering livestock (a pig): from kill to quality cuts wrapped in butcher paper!

Ive contacted a Half Moon Bay area pig farmer wholl provide the site, pig and equipment on his ranch for us to slaughter a pig, scald and scrape the pig of its fur, prepare major cuts, and then fine quality servings cuts, ending with proper packaging for long term storage.

This will be a pig in the 100 to 150-pound range.

What youll get out of the training:

How to slaughter a pig, sheep, cow or goat with a .22 rifle or pistol, sledgehammer, or knife...and properly finish off a game animal that you may have performed a poor shot on...

How to immediately bleed the animal for making blood sausage and pudding

How to scald and scrape the fur off a pig:you didnt think those bacon and legs of ham you get from the Safeway came off a hairless pig, did you? ;)

How to eviscerate the pig and retain its offal: making sure to not contaminate any meat with urine, bile, or feces

How to clean out the intestines and stomach for sausage-making

How to prepare prosciutto and Serrano ham

How to prepare a ribrack (makes a great sausage stuffed dish), boneless roast, and Boston butt

How to prepare a baby back ribs cut

How to prepare porkchops

How to make headcheese

How to make Irish crubeens and crispy-skinned pork roast

How to butcher a pig for ALL French, American, British or Italian cuts

How to properly package meat cuts

How to totally use your livestock or game and WASTE NOTHING!

What to bring:

1. Waterproof knee-high rubber boots and dish washing gloves if you want to get a hands on experience

2. Snacks and lunch

3. Drinking water

4. Notebook/pen

5. Digital camera

6. Clothing for temperatures between 45 and 70 degrees, with possible light rain/drizzle

I'm really looking forward to this class.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'd like to do that class too. I'll bet they won't lose the head.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wanted to say "hi" and hear more about this class. We have our first pig and have been reading everything I can to prepare for THAT time.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
Wanted to say "hi" and hear more about this class. We have our first pig and have been reading everything I can to prepare for THAT time.
It was a private offer to a SF hunting group I belong to. A member is providing the class.

Don't know much more about it but I'll definitely post when I take it.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Wow! That sounds great. Were they offering the class just to members of your hunting group or to others as well? Was there a limit on class size? When is it... as in when do we get to hear how it went?