Another reason to raise our own animals and eat "real food".

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
ChildrenoftheCornPoster.jpg

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Aside from the children; I think a main reason is because it is easier to make GMO corn that other forms of veggies..?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the ability to store it long term...that and the evil.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great, WZ. now how am i supposed to sleep? aaaahghgghhgghhhhhhh

um. so.

we just butchered 3 of our big tom bourbon red turks and they dont have any of that crap in them. i cant wait to roast up one of the breasts over taters and drape the whole thing in BACON!

whoot!

:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

The first part of the book talks about "corn sex". :p Apparently it's unusual sexual arrangement (tassles) have allowed it to adapt to almost anything we humans want to adapt it to.

For example, we can grow it with more ears of corn, closer together, taller, round up resistant etc. It was also adapted to fit our farm machines better.

And the corn itself can be turned into almost anything. See Noobie's list above.

It has flooded the market since the 70's (thank you Earl Butz) so they have to put it in everything to use it up...yeah, they have tricked us into eating ALL of their surpluses of subsidized corn.

Listen to this break down of food from Mcdonalds:

soda (100% corn)
milk shake (78% corn)
salad dressing (65% corn)
chicken nuggets (56% corn)
cheeseburger (52% corn)
french fries (23% corn)
It is also as prevalent in the other foods at the grocery store, so don't be fooled that it is a fast food problem...foods like ketsup, mustard, hot dogs, buns...

Plus the farmers are going broke cultivating it.

All that and I didn't even have to bring up Monsanto...it is that bad.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
:yuckyuck

The first part of the book talks about "corn sex". :p Apparently it's unusual sexual arrangement (tassles) have allowed it to adapt to almost anything we humans want to adapt it to.

For example, we can grow it with more ears of corn, closer together, taller, round up resistant etc. It was also adapted to fit our farm machines better.

And the corn itself can be turned into almost anything. See Noobie's list above.

It has flooded the market since the 70's (thank you Earl Butz) so they have to put it in everything to use it up...yeah, they have tricked us into eating ALL of their surpluses of subsidized corn.

Listen to this break down of food from Mcdonalds:

soda (100% corn)
milk shake (78% corn)
salad dressing (65% corn)
chicken nuggets (56% corn)
cheeseburger (52% corn)
french fries (23% corn)
It is also as prevalent in the other foods at the grocery store, so don't be fooled that it is a fast food problem...foods like ketsup, mustard, hot dogs, buns...

Plus the farmers are going broke cultivating it.

All that and I didn't even have to bring up Monsanto...it is that bad.
"They", charge the farmers 6 cents per seed kernel, and are not allowed to save over form the previous crop to help cut costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sally, if you haven't seen King Corn, watch it once you are done reading Omnivore's Dilemma. there is a TOTALLY CREEPSHOW interview with the late, not-so-great Earl Butz... :smack