Another reason to raise our own animals and eat "real food".

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
Sally, if you haven't seen King Corn, watch it once you are done reading Omnivore's Dilemma. there is a TOTALLY CREEPSHOW interview with the late, not-so-great Earl Butz... :smack
Yep, Dace told me about that movie, I can't wait!

Now I'm off to waste some time weeding my raised beds...UGH!!! ;) Need more home raised food!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Ah . . . interesting. This Butz character already grates on my nerves, just from what I have read . . . it would be fun to see him "in action". :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Now I'm off to waste some time weeding my raised beds...UGH!!! Need more home raised food!!!
I wasted my time this afternoon doing this. My garden was a bust last year, so there are lotsa weeds to pull. I should pay someone else to do it who's better at it than me. ;)

So as to not hijack totally, I'll have to get that book. If memory serves me correctly, my library didn't have it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I found it in the grocery store reduced sale book bin! I think it was like $2.99 or something like that. I was quite surprised to find it there.

Noobie, you are so right, I need to waste some time mulching! NO wait, I can just hire someone to do that! ;)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I may have to look into it as well. Our library is pretty good about buying a book for general use if they do not already have one.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
One of the things that really freaks me out about GMO stuff is the Round-Up-ready part. This means that the GMO plant won't get killed by this evil, toxic, NON-biodegradable, cancer-causing herbicide so they can drown the crops in it to get rid of the other weeds. So if you are eating GMO, you are eating Round-Up. I've heard it stated (where???? I think in the documentary from France "The World According to Monsanto") that it WILL cause cancer, it just takes 30-40 years, so it is too hard to connect it to the cause.

Yikes.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Listen to this break down of food from Mcdonalds:

soda (100% corn)
milk shake (78% corn)
salad dressing (65% corn)
chicken nuggets (56% corn)
cheeseburger (52% corn)
french fries (23% corn)
Holy Smokes :ep

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
OK - King Corn; Omnivore's Dilemma-

What else? What other movies and books should I use to learn?

If anybody knows, you guys do

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Salad Bar Beef
Animal. Vegetable, Mineral
Nourishing Traditions
Real Food
Real Food For Mother and Baby

Nourishing Traditions, the seminar
Fresh, the Movie