Any composters on board??

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I still have to get a picture of it, but I built the wife a drum composter to use in addition to our leaf compost pile. Anyone else into recycling kitchen and yard scraps??

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We add to our compost pile daily but haven't used the finished product yet. We plan on using the compost for our spring garden.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We use the leaf compost every spring on the garden and all the raised beds. This drum composter is just an experiment to see if it works better/faster than the BIG pile!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad built me a rotating composter for my birthday last year. I was really good about turning it and got my first batch in about 2 weeks. Then I got lazy, and the second batch is still working. The only problem with the rotating one is that you need 2 piles - one for collecting while the other is breaking down. But it's still pretty cool. Plus my dad built one for 1/4 (or less) of the cost of a premade one!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I would love to see a pic of that barrel. We have two compost piles if you want to call them that. I have one at the end of the garden by the house and another at the end of the big garden down the hill. Most of my compost is stuff from the garden that either rotted, got to big to eat, and some kitchen stuff, like coffee grounds. Most of my kitchen scraps (left overs) go to the chickens.
Fresh things like ends off of onions, broccoli stems, etc. go into the soup bag. I save all that stuff and boil them to make soup stock. After I boil them they go to the compost pile. Egg shells go either to the chickens or to the rose bush.
I seldom ever turn either of those piles. We just kind of keep adding to and then once a year work what ever is there into one of the garden spots and start a new pile.
We have thrown around the idea of a compost drum. But just never have done anything. Can't wait to see pics of yours.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I just made ours out of a big blue plastic 55 gallon drum. Built a frame for it with a couple of rollers, cut one end out for a door to toss stuff in and voila'! Instant Composter! I will try to remember to get a picture or two in the AM.....:D:D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a compost bin area. House scraps and debris etc. goes in that one. Anyway to improve NC red clay soil is a plus....LOL

On the big farm I use the chicken, hog poop and all that to add back into the fields.

I saw those drum composters and almost thought of buying one but didn't like the price. Thought of building one but never got around to it. I guess just piling it up on the ground was cheaper for me..LOL

good deal on making one and can't wait to see the pics of your hard work.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Our chicken barn has become the big compost pile now :) We have had one for years but never really turned it or used it. But, at least it wasn't going into the landfill. Now everything goes to the chickens and we sprinkle treats (cracked corn or sunflower seeds) on their bedding to get them scratching and turning our compost for us. The whole mess will get shoveled out in spring to age for a year outside before going to the garden while last year's pile will get dug into the garden.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I pile up horse manure and goat manure in the woods and put kitchen scraps of non-goatie edible garden waste in the compost bins but I have never even opened the bottom of those bins in 6 years- all that stuff must be going somewhere.
As you can see, I am an incredibly incompetent composter- :rolleyes:

Lucky for me that nature and the productivity of horses make being a more scientific composter unneccessary. :lol:

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For sureee.

We have a huge compost pile down the end of the yard with the chicken shavings, cat litter (we used yesterdays news so it degrades fast), and yard waste. We ALSO have two large composters out the back of the house for cooking waste.

We're going to be putting in a dog poop composter soon enough, and hopefully a rolling barrel one for the summer.

Plussss, we'll have the horse poo which people in our area seem to want to buy LOL