Any composters on board??

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I compost everything that I can.

Chicken poo goes straight to the garden right now. During the season we have two bins to put it in.

Some kitchen waste goes to the worm bin. Not alot right now though, they are dormant.

The rest of the kitchen waste goes into two black rectangular tubs next to the greenhouse. While one is decomposing, I add to the other.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
My buddy down the road used to keep horses,and I was delighted to help him get rid of three truck loads of 3-4 year old horse manure this past spring. It went right into our garden just before we tilled it for spring planting! ;)

Worm composting is another thing I would like to give a shot at one of these days, but my main focus for now is to get a chicken tractor built before spring.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nothing gets you closer to your kitchen scraps than watching them rot.

My method is oh-so-scientific: We have a cinder block wall down by the woodlot....just a wall is there - maybe 2 courses high, 3 in spots. I pile my piles up against that. I have the new pile, the older pile and the oldest pile. I keep a container by the sink for all the compost stuff and truck it out to the newest pile. Occasionally, I fork the newest pile over to the middle older pile and the older pile gets forked over to the oldest pile (well, I guess actually that goes in reverse of that order). I probably don't get them the 3x3 feet that is recommended but I'm getting some nice compost anyway. I also put leaves, grass trimmings, and tiniest branches (for a little air) on the piles occasionally and now they also get a sprinkle of woodashes every now and then. It's reasonably close to the coop so that's where the coop poop will go, too.

Let it rot! Let it rot! Let it rot!!!!!!!

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just extend my terraces out with the stuff I want to amend the garden with. When it is time to till I pull some of it into the garden first. I leave some of it where it is at to grow my squash in.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am a composting fiend!!! One of the first projects when we bought our place 7 years ago, after our little barn, was a compost area. It is a "bin" made of wire fencing, and is about 16' x 24' and until we got chickens, it was open on one long side. I would dump all horse manure and bedding into one third of it, then the next year, another third, and so on, then use the first batch on my property, continuing to rotate it each year.

With chickens, I had to enclose the fourth side, leaving an opening in the middle for my wheelbarrow. I also reduced it to two piles, because the chickens dramatically speed up the composting with their digging, it is amazing!

With that compost, I put a few inches on my veg and flower gardens spring and fall, and have created a lawn where just sand seemed to grow by adding compost spring and fall, thicker on the bare spots. I have improved my pasture dramatically by layering 3-4 inches in rows whenever I have a few minutes to haul a couple loads out. The line is obvious, it is green and lush where the compost has been spread, weedy and sandy with lots of strawberry plants (not the good kind) where it is waiting for compost.

All at the cost of $0, and a great workout for me! And HUGE satisfaction of seeing good things from my own two hands! :celebrate

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We have a compost bin under the kitchen sink. Veggie scraps, after they have been used for stock, rotted veggies or fruit, fruit scraps, egg shells, coffee grounds, tea leaves, and the like go from the bin under the sink to the compost pile out in the pasture by the barn. This gets emptied weekly in winter and daily in warm weather.

All the chicken manure and bedding goes in the pile. We used to have the pile fenced on all four sides, one side was movable like a gate so we could get the wheelbarrow into it to dump the contents. However, last spring, dh removed the one side when he was cleaning out the hen house and barn and never replaced it.

The chickens were happy about that because now they dont have to fly into the compost heap to find goodies, they just walk right in and start scratching.

We turn it once in the spring, so we can remove all the good stuff at the bottom and throw it on the garden beds. Then we add all the stuff from the barn to the pile and add to it all summer and autumn.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love composting. It's probably my favorite part of gardening. We just have a big old pile that is surrounded by chicken wire. I think I may need to make my "bin" a little smaller so the stuff can be piled deeper.

momofdrew

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
my bins are made out of old cedar fence rails and wooden paletts...the cedar does not rot I have one bin for leaves and sticks from the yard where my dogs might have left a surprise and I use that compost for the grass and trees and flower beds and then I have my garden scrap and coop shavings bin that I use for the veggie garden...Iusually just let the worms help me decompose everything cause I am lazy and hate to turn the piles so I have 4 bins going 2 for this seasons stuff and 2 for digging black gold out of

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
my daughter is doing a science experiment for school to see which fertilizer works best, commercial, chicken, goat, rabbit, horse and cow. The teacher told her it was a great idea for an experiment but she didn't know where to get her all the manures. Ashley told her not to worry she has it all.

Now the watch and wait.

jackie

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We want to start composting but don't think we have enough stuff to go in it.
We give kitchen scraps to the chickens and dogs, the weeds/plants around here don't seem to compost, we have no grass, pine trees, 1 small apple tree(probably less than 100 leaves on it at any given time), 2 small sweetgum trees. Plenty of dirt and rocks.

Monica

Oh, just made coffe; we have cooffee grounds, tea bags and eggshells