Any composters on board??

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You do need a certain amount of brown vs green material, that may be why your plants didn't want to compost. Do you have neighbors who would be happy for you to take their weeds, leaves, yard waste? Do people use those big brown paper leaf bags and put them out by the road in your area? Those are filled with compostable materials, maybe you could snag a few to get your pile started.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No leafbags, no one rakes their leaves here. Not many people here have lawns, too much work for our alt/dry conditions when. Most people already use their manure themselves and don't want to share. All I can think of is for DH to bring up green waste from the city.
One day, we will have a lawn, but it is still on the list.

Monica

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's the plan. Right now DH is only working a few days a week, so we have to wait longer.
Monica

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A lot of times during the winter I just burying my kitchen scraps right in the garden & come spring it is ready & done & better soil. Otherwise I have 3 55 gal plastic drums that the lids are cut off of that I take turns with 2 of them being used at a time, the 3rd one is used to turn one of the others into. So one stays empty at all times. I use some dirt, manure & a little bit of straw(with chicken poo on it) too.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ckmom,

There is a 90 yr old lady who always made a wonderful garden up to about 5 yrs ago. She always through eggs shells in her garden all winter long. She said it was like Miracle Grow. She always made a huge garden.

jackie

chickenchalupa

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i built a composter this fall and i'm hoping to get some compost by spring to put in my garden.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I just made ours out of a big blue plastic 55 gallon drum. Built a frame for it with a couple of rollers, cut one end out for a door to toss stuff in and voila'! Instant Composter! I will try to remember to get a picture or two in the AM.....:D:D
Hey SKR, how is your composter working. Did you ever take any pictures for us?

riley

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i compost all my stuff in a big pile i just wonder when can i put it my garden

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hi riley! I put mine in as soon as I can haul it, as soon as it thaws out! I also will throw some on top of everything in the fall if I have plenty. I also sift it with a piece of wire fencing set on top of my wheelbarrow and sprinkle it on the lawn. We went from no grass in the backyard to only a couple scraggley spots within about 3-4 years without spending a dime, a big sandy yard, too, with no topsoil.