Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a mandolin cutter , crock, salt and TIME , add some caraway seeds , grind the meat add the spice , make the sausage , cook and ENJOY, forgot make the mustard,
Guess it would be easier to just shop for it but that is what makes us so unique.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been making my own kraut for 10 years.

IMG_2317.JPG
This year I grew red cabbage, I got 6 very nich heads
Capture.JPG

This is what is in the crock now, It is a slow ferment due to the fact that it isn't very warm in the house. But.. I have pulled a bit out and served it with dinner a few weeks ago. I am have to move it closer to the wood stove.

IMG_20211020_150522_HDR.jpg IMG_20211020_151141_HDR.jpg

hot German potato salad and Hemplers sausage
IMG_20211020_152833_HDR.jpg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like to ferment carrots, they are as a snack, When I go in to the market I am going to pick up carrots and ginger.
I'll take new pics when I make it.
I like to put ginger in with them.
  • ¾ pound carrots, grated
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon unrefined salt
This is a pic of my carrots from last spring,

IMG_2321.JPG

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish I liked fermented foods more--any advice anyone. I will eat some but like a teaspoon at a time. I like sweet not sour and I think that is the hurdle I run into sometimes. They are good for the guts and I know that it would help me out since I sometimes have some GI issues.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sometimes it's just a matter of re-educating your taste buds. If you eat something often, it eventually becomes something you like, even perhaps a comfort food. The opposite is true as well, which is why I don't crave sweets as much as I used to
Very interesting, never thought of it this way. I suppose it is like when you are starting to feed solids to a baby, keep trying!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very interesting, never thought of it this way. I suppose it is like when you are starting to feed solids to a baby, keep trying!
I tried to find you a quote yesterday, from my book , Sandor Katz,
From what I know, when you make kraut in a warm environment and if ferments quickly the more sour it will be,
in a cool house, 60 degrees, with will take longer and be less sour.