Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm going to start mine off today and pickle some beetroot.
I've just ordered kosher salt ,I think it may be best for fermentation
I have a cabbage that has been in the fridge a while. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is okay to use,? I want to spice mine as I have a nice locally grown Chile here.
The cabbage may be a bit dry, you may nee to add a cup of water and then wait a few days, repack it down and add more if there isnt enough to cover the cabbage.

I have done beets, they are great on salads

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread has become active.

Fact: Homemade sauerkraut is awesome.

I'm learning so much from all the posts here. You all keep up the good work and don't be shy, ask questions. That's how we learn from each other 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just use sea salt,
I have beef bones and make bone broth. I roasted mine in the oven last time so some of the marrow fat cooked off, I cant handle to much of the oil, but then I boiled them in the pressure cooker. I refrigerated the broth over night and cut the fat off. i know some use the fat to cook with.
View attachment 17093 View attachment 17094
I roasted the beef and had a nice few dinners along with my animal's :)
Then I boiled my bone with my softened onions and garlic which wer8e cooked in olive oil first. I managed too get the marrow out of the bone and have a nice portion remaining ready for dinner this evening. Its It's surprising how many meals I got out of that beef :)

I have a pressure cooker but I like using my enamelled iron pan for some reason

I just spoke to the farmer and asked for another beef cut, I was misunderstood and they thought I asked for marrow bones :D then I got through what I meant and now I'm getting both marrow bones and this amazing beef. I like those kind of mistakes that gains goodness, :) happy day's.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you use a fido jar for sauerkraut do you need to weight it still?
One key to a successful ferment is to keep the cabbage under the brine at all times. Any bits that float to the top will spoil and need to be tossed when you skim the top.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
👍
IMG_20211219_175045511.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fermented Carrots with Ginger
View attachment 17191

View attachment 17192
View attachment 17193
View attachment 17194

View attachment 17195

View attachment 17196fi

Wash the carrots and the jar
Cut up the carrots, peel the ginger
Fit them in the jar, you don't want the carrots to be taller than the water level,

Then I desolve 1/2 tsp of salt in my measuring cup or a glass of water, I then an other 1/2 tsp
I filled the glass and poured it over the carrots then added more water until the tops of the carrots were covered,
I used a coffee filter and rubber band to cover it

non-iodized salt only right? (otherwise known sometimes as pickling salt or kosher salt)

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
how about pea gravel in a freezer bag or small sandwich bag? as long as it doesn't leak it should be ok.

i was also thinking if you really wanted glass of some kind that if you took old thicker window type glass and then ground down the edges you could make whatever custom sizes and shapes you wanted, but then it would be a fair bit of work.

i vastly prefer glass over any other material for food storage and prep uses. non-leaded and clear glass only - no funny colored stuff...

I have scrubbed a just right sized rock and put it in a ziplock and used that

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like your granddaughters need to get those nails painted again. 😀

I wish the wife could tolerate cabbage. Not worth it to do the ferment thing just for me
Ha... She only painted my left hand fingernails. I have acetone, could remove in a few seconds, but I'm not going too. The nail polish will wear off eventually, already starting to wear off. Besides, having fingernails painted by granddaughter is alright by me.
IMG_20230105_114630448.jpg

I would be highly surprised if my wife will eat this experiment. But I know most of my boys will. So this one gallon test will be consumed. Taste test was good and I can envision this would be good on sausage and hot dogs.

I will eat it for the health benefits alone. I try and eat naturally fermented foods a few times a week. The probiotics are great for my gut and helps with "pot belly"

Last edited:

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Started a 5lb. batch of sauerkraut last month. Last time I had checked it the brine was starting to change color but it still tasted like salty cabbage. Checked it yesterday at about the 4 1/2 week mark. The brine is definitely sauerkraut colored. Most of the cabbage still looks like cabbage but it is starting to have a mild sauerkraut flavor instead of tasting like salty cabbage.

Last edited: