Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started a 5lb. batch of sauerkraut last month. Last time I had checked it the brine was starting to change color but it still tasted like salty cabbage. Checked it yesterday at about the 4 1'2 week mark. The brine is definitely sauerkraut colored. Most of the cabbage still looks like cabbage but it is starting to have a mild sauerkraut flavor instead of tasting like salty cabbage.
It only gets better with age 😉

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2 jars of carrots, 2 jars of beets with onions, one mustard seed/ dill cabbage and one caraway onion cabbage,
5449E04C-0B3E-4F98-AB35-8E151C459526.jpeg

the less full cabbage jar I was able to repack in a 2QT jar,, that one is the Dutch Flat Head cabbage,, it didnt have as much moisture as the regular green cabbage.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Started a 5lb. batch of sauerkraut last month. Last time I had checked it the brine was starting to change color but it still tasted like salty cabbage. Checked it yesterday at about the 4 1/2 week mark. The brine is definitely sauerkraut colored. Most of the cabbage still looks like cabbage but it is starting to have a mild sauerkraut flavor instead of tasting like salty cabbage.
You must have a nice cool spot to keep you kraut

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have to grind it so fine or can you leave it in bigger strips?

You can cut it longer if you like. I used to do it like that and prefer it that way but everyone else likes it smaller.

Here another "recipe" from the old farmers almamac ---> https://www.almanac.com/content/how-make-sauerkraut

The keys to success is 3 TBS of pickling (non-iodine) salt per 5 lbs shreaded cabbage, spring or well water (no clorine added) to make the brine and absolutely no cabbage cores. Other than that keep away from a heat source, keep the cabbage submerged in the brine and it's nothing more than a big waiting game.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I forgot to post updates... No not canned yet it's gotta run about 8 to 9 weeks but I did snap a pic of the first skim and taste test :) it's still sweet and salty. When it's done it's sour with just a hint of salt.

First skim - it's looking great so far
uploadfromtaptalk1445793951968.jpeg

Here's what I got out of the first skim (what was floating on top of the dinner plate) there was no scum at all. And yep you betcha I eat some.
uploadfromtaptalk1446306251419.jpeg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Remember this is a natural ferment its not going to be white. The kraut from the store is whitened. I did research several years ago - I can't recall the chemical name of the ingredient added to store bought kraut. But when I dug into it, It was a preservative that had a bleaching or whitening effect.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Little over 5 weeks now. This batch is running great. It might be ready in a few weeks. Still a little salty and needs more sour. The brine has cleared up nicely though, it just needs more time to mellow out now.

uploadfromtaptalk1449338418572.jpeg

The best part is sneaking a little for a taste test.
uploadfromtaptalk1449338428922.jpeg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine doesn't take that long . . . a week, maybe a bit longer in winter, since we keep our house at 68° F. I use 1 gallon glass jars with air locks in the lids. The batch that I gave to @baymule was pink, but that was because I used purple cabbage.

68?.Phew... That's what we keep the house at during the summer day and 65 at night. Winter is 60 during the day and 58 at night. I think I might burn up at 68 -:lol since even at 60, I have to wear a tank top while in the house. I think I might have to strip down to just shorts @ 68 so I wouldn't burn up.

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Per my doctor's strong advise I take 5000 ICU of vitamin D3 every night along with 1 tsp of Bragg's organic ACV Nov through April.
DH & I have been taking Vitamin D3 (5000 IU) for years. We have gone to one 3 timed a week. However, during flu season we go to one daily, along with 2000mg Vitamin C 2× daily, Echinacea with Goldenseal, Schizandra and Astragalus 3x daily, all for immune building.

I started feeling my sinus swelling up the other day. I bumped up the Elderberry & added a few cups of Echinacea tea. Today I'm back to normal. I will continue taking 1 Tbsp Elderberry Syrup twice daily until Spring, unless I feel symptoms, then will bump it up to 3× daily. It works really well with viruses. Studies have shown that a compound in Elderberries prevents virus from replicating (reproducing). It also prevents it from breaking down cell walls, so it can't get in your cells & make you sick.

You do well to take a couple Tbsp of Bragg's ACV daily. It is very similar to Kombucha and has healthy probiotics and immune building qualities. Kefir & cultured veggies all have different probiotics, which act synergistically, to keep us healthy.

A really good website about this is:

www.culturedfoodlife.com.

Last edited: