Any ideas on what to do with this cement?

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Pat. I may have to go the jackhammer route (by me I mean DH). I would like to be able to use it where it lays however that tree its next to is the perfect place for our hammock in the summer. It's such a drab trying to soak up the day on a hammock with a big ol' ugly block! :/

I'm thinking if I wait long enough they will sink into the earth!:lol:

Bethanial- Where do people get this "urbanite"? I'm wondering if a company would want this concrete to recycle into urbanite?? Maybe someone would come get it?

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LL - it's just something you go scrounging for :idunno I heard about it in doing research for the aforementioned dream bale-cob cottage. Typically, people in the natural building realm want to do as much as possible with all natural building materials, but stone (for foundation) is not readily accessibly everywhere, so somebody came up with the bright idea to save concrete from going into the landfill. Google reclaimed concrete or urbanite (dunno where the name came from) to find out more info. Although, even in my itty-bitty town and living very rural, once you start looking for it, you can find it quite readily.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
Thanks Pat. I may have to go the jackhammer route (by me I mean DH). I would like to be able to use it where it lays however that tree its next to is the perfect place for our hammock in the summer. It's such a drab trying to soak up the day on a hammock with a big ol' ugly block! :/

I'm thinking if I wait long enough they will sink into the earth!:lol:

Bethanial- Where do people get this "urbanite"? I'm wondering if a company would want this concrete to recycle into urbanite?? Maybe someone would come get it?
Hi LL. If you are going to have to rent a jackhammer to bust up that concrete be advised that often concrete has reinforcing wire running through it. You may find it easier to rent a concrete saw and cut it into manageable sections. The saw won't be as difficult to use (a jackhammer can beat you up pretty good) and you will be left with pieces that have a nice smooth edge so that you can reuse the blocks.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Um---Shhh---anyone you want to get rid of and never be found?
:lol: :gig :bun

few supplies, deep lake, heavy metal chain and darkness
:thumbsup

Only a joke ya'll :lol:

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You could bust those up with a sledge hammer.
SAVE that large slab though, you never know when it may come in handy.

See these cement slabs I used in my greenhouse project?

393655103.jpg

393655109.jpg

These are sections of a sidewalk I removed in my back yard. Heavy and hard to move, but a LOT cheaper and easier than setting up forms, calling in a concrete truck and working all afternoon to pour a slab!!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
You could bust those up with a sledge hammer.
SAVE that large slab though, you never know when it may come in handy.

See these cement slabs I used in my greenhouse project?

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/22456124/393655103.jpg
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/22456124/393655109.jpg

These are sections of a sidewalk I removed in my back yard. Heavy and hard to move, but a LOT cheaper and easier than setting up forms, calling in a concrete truck and working all afternoon to pour a slab!!
Do you have the finished greenhouse pictures somewhere? I'd love to see it!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
skr8pn- Thanks and I would like to see finished greenhouse pics too.

lighthawk- Good thinking with the concrete saw! That way I could get them pretty close to block size and make that fire pit I want!

FarmerChick- I was kinda thinking the other direction.... like they would make a good tombstone. ;)

Bethanial- Thanks! I'll look around.