Any trappers here?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its that time of year to start getting gear ready. Any of you guys trap in the winter for pelts or food?

We aren't die hard trappers, Texas isnt known for harsh winters and thick furs, but i have taken the kids camping a few times and we trapped dinner a time or two with foot holds and body grips. Its good skill building and its alot of fun.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I trapped a possum in a live trap, that was stealing eggs from under a broody hen. Ugh, they are stinky and oh so ugly! No pelt there!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They actually dont look too awful bad after tanning. But the main thing a possom brings is fat. Lots of fat! They dont taste bad but they are a little greasy. If a man was hungry ( not just ready for supper) it would be the best thing for him.

Wrap it in tin foil and slide it in the coals. Not too bad. I wouldnt fill the freezer with em though

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would never have thought about either saving the hide or eating it! Guess I should think about it a little differently. Good info - thanks!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't trap here, but some stupid beavers are making me rethink that. Normally the dogs chase eveything off.

We do have weasels, racoons, and possums as well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Lots and lots of rabbits here, saw some foxes and I know there are mink, but I haven't seen one here yet.

We trapped mongoose in South Africa, because they wreaked havoc with my chickens, killing chicks, then stealing eggs, then going after the hens. I'm open-minded about eating meat from different animals, but I had no desire to try mongoose.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband does some trapping, mostly nuisance animals though. He is interested in it for sure. Definitely haven't eaten any of those critters though! My husband said he's heard possum is good if you brine it... Not sure I'll ever find that one out!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If i were to eat possum again, id boil it and then roast it to get more fat out of the meat. Tastes fine, just really fatty.
You could make 17 bars of soap from one possum. :D

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't trap here, but some stupid beavers are making me rethink that. Normally the dogs chase eveything off.

We do have weasels, racoons, and possums as well.

Beaver pelts pay $$$$ . Watch a couple utube videos on trapping beaver and order some #5 double long spring traps. Its worth the time

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lots and lots of rabbits here, saw some foxes and I know there are mink, but I haven't seen one here yet.

We trapped mongoose in South Africa, because they wreaked havoc with my chickens, killing chicks, then stealing eggs, then going after the hens. I'm open-minded about eating meat from different animals, but I had no desire to try mongoose.

Last i heard fox pelts were bringing $75-100 each from northern states