Any trappers here?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its that time of year to start getting gear ready. Any of you guys trap in the winter for pelts or food?

We aren't die hard trappers, Texas isnt known for harsh winters and thick furs, but i have taken the kids camping a few times and we trapped dinner a time or two with foot holds and body grips. Its good skill building and its alot of fun.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We mainly trap as needed to protect our flock and orchard from possums and raccoons. I would be open to at least try a possum once. We don’t have a problem with coon but I usually soak it in beer and seasonings for at least 4 days in the fridge before we cook it. I might combine it with deer, pork and such to make sausage or ground meat and see if more people accept it, especially if we have a lot. They sure do love oranges.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We use live traps for raccoons, skunk (once) and fox (once). How many times we caught my stupid mini poodle? I have no idea - it was daily for a while! DH was baiting the traps with canned cat food for a while.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Coons like anything sweet or fishy. Sweet will just catch coons. Fishy will target coons, possum and skunk. All can be caught in a duke dp.

I haven't seen anything here, im thinking my dogs keep stuff away, but i might set some dps anyway and see what happens.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a ton of old traps but we don’t actually use them. My husband’s friend cooked up some beaver and DH said it was delicious. I don’t know that I’m interested in trying that myself 🤣

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They actually dont look too awful bad after tanning. But the main thing a possom brings is fat. Lots of fat! They dont taste bad but they are a little greasy. If a man was hungry ( not just ready for supper) it would be the best thing for him.

Wrap it in tin foil and slide it in the coals. Not too bad. I wouldnt fill the freezer with em though

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Lots and lots of rabbits here, saw some foxes and I know there are mink, but I haven't seen one here yet.

We trapped mongoose in South Africa, because they wreaked havoc with my chickens, killing chicks, then stealing eggs, then going after the hens. I'm open-minded about eating meat from different animals, but I had no desire to try mongoose.