Any unusual plans or ways to celebrate New Year's?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I always do the same thing year after year but wouldn't mind to change things a little.

Anyone do anything exceptionally unique for New Year's? Traditions you have started or just old one's passed down?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I always do the same thing year after year but wouldn't mind to change things a little.

Anyone do anything exceptionally unique for New Year's? Traditions you have started or just old one's passed down?
Growing up, we would camp out in the living room as a family and watch all 8 hours of Ann of Green Gables on New Years Day.

Fireworks are huge up here. Since its too light in summer, New Years is the big bang for us.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't do much. Neither of us has any desire to be on the road on New Year's Eve, so we stay home. If we are awake we might share some Bubbly.
A little off topic, though still to do with the New Year: DH was sending an e-card to friends in Japan, and looked up "Happy New Year" in Japanese. He found that one traditional greeting that is sometimes used there is "Thank You, Old Year!". I thought that was a nice sentiment - though of course some years one doesn't want to even remember, much less thank!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Sometimes we have friends who throw a dinner party and we dress up and go to that. They've stopped doing it lately so we are on our own. So we will stay home with DS, have a nice dinner (tonight's is baked brie, shrimp cocktail, a salad and pork roast. Then we will watch two movies back to back, The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming and Finian's Rainbow. Just because we always do. If I get tired and can't make it through Finian's Rainbow we will save it for St Patrick's Day. We will have a small bottle of champagne for midnight. I will be in my pajamas by 9:00!
My parents used to go ice skating every NYE with their old church. Hot cocoa instead of champagne but kind of neat!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We always ski on New Years Eve.

Today, The Wife and I went skiing, came back home to let the dogs out and grab a bite to eat, then we are hitting the slopes again. We plan on being back home before all the idiots hit the roads. We have sauerkraut and stuffed cabbage rolls in the crock pot for dinner as I type this, and the beer and wine is cold. :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH & I have been pretty boring the last few years, since we also don't like to be out driving with all the drunken maniacs on the road. The last couple times we couldn't even make it to midnight (old farts, ya know). :rolleyes:

Tonight we're going to BIL/SIL's for munchies, champagne, & a movie. They're only 2 blocks away, so I think we can manage to avoid any drunks. Or just walk home. :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I like that expression too....Thank you, Old Year. I have learned so many things this year and there have been so many changes that I can't help but think that I should be grateful for the things I have learned.

I've often thought it would be kind of cool to do something unusual for the New Year, as a family.....like take a cruise, spend the night volunteering in a trauma center, feeding the homeless or some momentous and memorable thing.

Instead, we usually spend it just like every other holiday....tucked into the house, good food, games, movies and laughing. Not a bad way to do it but I've always wondered if something else would be just as fun and maybe a little more inspiring.

Anyone do anything inspiring/exciting to bring in the New Year?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We're aving the two lovebirds(DD19 and her DH) over for good food and a few movies :) First New Year where our kid will leave after midnight and go home....still kinda weird :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We are eating alot. A LOT. Lots of appetizzers and will probably watch criminal minds till 12:01.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As a 32 year career fireman,I'll once again spend New Year's eve at the firehouse.We(there's six of us at this firehouse)plan to eat well and watch a little TV.The weather is predicted to be very heavy rain and high winds.

There is no telling what we will be in for tonight.Car wrecks are usually our most frequent incidents on New Year's eve.I've seen some horrible accidents with a lot of young lives lost or ruined forever and many parent's hearts broken because of the foolish things people do.I pray that tonight will be different!

Have a Happy New Year!Don't be stupid and ruin it for yourselves or loved ones.

Andy J