Anybody else have the garden bug yet?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had hoped to get my garden all ready for spring b4 it got too bad this fall/early winter. But, we had a fairly wet fall, then a colder than normal December. I only got about half done. And, they're calling for a foot or so of snow for today. I'll be planning out my garden this week, probably.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have celery and basil growing in the kitchen window, herbs overwintering upstairs under the roof window, and seed catalogs close at hand. I guess I never really stop gardening.

The funny one is my hubby. Remember me talking to you all about my 3 year plan to start him into gardening in spite of himself? Well last summer he grew several types of peppers, a tomato plant and some cilantro in his big porch planter pots. He even started those plants from seed himself. :ep I think he has the growing bug now. :gig

The BIG surprise is that as it got colder and colder he started worrying about his pets - the habanero pepper plants. He kept asking me what to do. I kept saying they will freeze and we can plant some more next year.

That would just not do! At first he contemplated bringing the pot inside. (It is a BIG cattle protein block bucket and would take up a BIG part of the living room corner.) He even had the dolly sizing things up. Then he decided to just save one and re-potted it. Now he turns a lamp on it before work every day and pets and pampers the darned thing every evening. It is paying him back by producing habaneros like mad! He is getting 2 to 4 a week.

So yeah .... he has the garden bug. :lol: :gig

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Got the bug yet? It's trying to take hold, but I am resisting....:D

We still have almost a foot of snow on the ground here.

It's funny you posted this, I was considering starting a "help plan my garden" discussion in my journal thread. One to give me ideas and second to have you all hold me accountable. :cool:

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

"....getting the garden bug yet" Are you kidding me? One of the neighbors had a huge truckload of the most beautiful rich, black compost delivered in early November. It's just sitting there waiting to be distributed onto his fields. Every time I go to town, I have to force the car to stay on the road and not go over to that pile of "gold" and take a trunkload. I am sorely tempted.

The garden catalogs began arriving before Thanksgiving. I have mentally spent several hundred dollars just on seeds. Gonna have to dial that back by moving the decimal to something more in line with the budget.

I got a gift certificate to Lowe's yesterday. Is it too soon to go wandering through their garden center?

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have already tilled the fall garden under, planted whole oats on the part I plan to turn the chickens out on and unloaded 2 truck loads of oak leaves / compost on the whole lot. This week my nephew will hopefully be able to help me move the chicken manure piles as well as cleaning the horse pasture up to add another layer on top of the leaves.... till it all under after while, but that is where I stand now.

Gardening bug? Nah.... just playing in the dirt :)

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Got the bug bad..............

need help.............

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got a bare-root order that will come the beginning of January- I'm getting a pear tree and a couple blueberries. I have some little starts I need to get in the ground- celery, dill and green onions. I haven't been out to the community garden plot since the rain stopped. I hope my cauliflower, broccoli and bok choy didn't drown. Swiss chard and lettuces are doing well at home. Our orange tree is loaded this year and they're nearly ripe. Also going to try planting some more potatoes. The peaches. plums and apricot trees need to be pruned.

We never get enough rest from gardening to get the garden bug!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We cannot put anything outside until the middle of May!
But, I will be starting red onion seed in about 4 weeks.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uhhhh.... I guess I will admit it. :hide

It's beautiful here today. Almost 70. I went out in the yard and weeded 3, 4 x 12 ft beds. I have black dirt under my nails and it feels wonderful. There are about 30 volunteer tomato plants all between 4 to 6 inches tall. I think some are heirloom so I will save those.

I still have a bed of carrots and beets doing well and I found 4 potato plants.

I am going to try and get some composted horse manure next week and start amending.

I cant wait until spring.

:D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And my garden is under 16" of snow. :hit