Anybody else have the garden bug yet?

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've planted next yrs garden in my head and on paper a million times. 3 1/2 months to go before I can set foot in it. When the Jan thaw happens I will finsih off the greenhouse. That should appease my antsieness. I am using the next few months to agther needed items from the dump. Old gutters, widows, doors, and anything that looks useful and can save me money this yr.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Despite the snow and cold, I always get the bug this time of year. Maybe it's all those seed catalogs that start arriving mixed in with the LandsEnd and LLBean Christmas catalogs? At any rate I sit down on New Years Day and start planning. It doesn't always amount to much. I've had a couple of really bad gardening years. But I at least get myself psyched back up for another try around now!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Uhhhh.... I guess I will admit it. :hide

It's beautiful here today. Almost 70. I went out in the yard and weeded 3, 4 x 12 ft beds. I have black dirt under my nails and it feels wonderful. There are about 30 volunteer tomato plants all between 4 to 6 inches tall. I think some are heirloom so I will save those.

I still have a bed of carrots and beets doing well and I found 4 potato plants.

I am going to try and get some composted horse manure next week and start amending.

I cant wait until spring.

:D
Ahh... at least somebody can play in the warm dirt. :cool:

It was sunny and 30 around here. I spent the afternoon reseeding my backyard. They buried my electric supply line a month ago and dug up the backyard doing it. I needed a fix for the mud, so I threw down some seed and covered the yard with straw. Grandma Nettie always planted grass in the winter.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FF I was sprinkling clover buy the bag full all summer. I needed a quick fix for my dead lawn. I think Bee used clover for a cover crop. With all of the rain we have had I now have a green clover field. With just a bit of grass. :D

Having your utilities under ground should help with the power outages.

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That's awesome. I am trying to get clover to take over my grass too.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Browsing through one the recent catalogs, I'm thinking of starting some Stevia in the house shortly. Just to get something growing.... :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Good idea :D

I have the rosemary to tend along with some basil and tarragon. I also brought in a nasturtium plant to see how it would do indoors. It looks awesome and has helped keep the gardening bug fed.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I received three seed catalogues today. I have the bug now!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Nope. Nothing like expanding the garden to 1-2 acres and making a small business of it to cure me of that! :D Seriously, I have about 10 catalogues and haven't even cracked the covers yet! But, when the social stuff and holidays slow down, I will start my indoor plants and get excited for next year's garden.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nope, not yet
not excited at all
close to 15 years income farming with produce and hay and I could care less about crops :p

since we darn near closed down and are only doing hay for our critters and to sell, and not doing the big field crop farming----yea I guess I can get excited about a 1/2 acre plot 'JUST FOR ME!'

HMMM....planting just for me. will seem crazy...like not enough work or I am doing something wrong haha

I got some catalouges and haven't opened them either....thought about throwing them out but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

this year I will plant for my table. and give away the rest of leftover harvests.

ok--yea getting a little excited now