ANYONE do the juicing thing?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone juice?

I finally got a juicer, and it came wiht good recipes but wondering if anyone has a special drink they enjoy and it gives them a good energy boost?

just going to do trial and error with it.

surprised me to read I can't put bananas in it. it doesn't make 'smoothies'--just juice. I kinda thought it did more lol

so wondering if anyone juices and what they make.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh yes!! I juice carrots with celery...and depending on how you are feeling...add some apples and/or parsley. Parsley can be a challenge, because the sprigs must be twisted into a rop, to be able to be processed. I don't juice daily, but it does wonders when I am sick. Or worn down and tired.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I responded to you on the what I got thread. Check thrift shops for books on juicing. They're easy to come by. I like to use apples in lots of my juices.

My fave juice is fill 1/2 of the the glass with carrot or apple juice, a bit of beet, a handful of parsley and a celery stick.

If you use any stuff in the cabbage family- consume it right away. The taste changes when it sits around and it loses its appeal.

If you want to juice leafy stuff wad them up into a ball and push down on them when they go in the chute- so they don't just fly around in the machine. It's entertaining to watch them fly, but you don't get the juice that way. Using a carrot or celery to push, works better than just the machines pusher- since
the pusher is designed to not quite touch the blades.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
A friend of mine sent me a blog post from the Healthy Home Economist, and she recommended a book on juicing, so I thought I'd pass it along.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...17145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=0895295121

Hope that link works, its long!
This is the blog post that it came from originally so you can see the review of the book (and see the other books cause there are some good ones on the list)
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....thyHomeEconomist+(The+Healthy+Home+Economist)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All great info to read. thanks evryone

wondering. if I grow strawberries and more this year, can I freeze the berries whole and defrost and use in my juicer later? I would think this would be ok.

I want to get fresh/organic for juicing. if I grow and freeze I can surely save money and know exactly what I am juicing. Edited to say---I looked up some juicing info and about all say to juice organic/pest free only. So I wonder are you guys doing that also?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That reminds me....I keep a bag of frozen cranberries in my freezer, at all times. I really needed them back in November, when I came down with a kidney stone. I pulled out the bag, and juiced half one day, the remainder, the next day. You cannot drink the juice unsweetened..it is very nasty. But, I juiced it with carrots and celery.....and got it down. I don't see why you couldn't experiment with frozen strawberries. On something like that....I put the thick stuff through the juicer first...then let a more juicy item..(apples or celery), go right behind it to rinse all the goodies into my container. My ACME juicer, the pulp builds up, so I have to clean it out midway if I am doing alot of juice. The pulp gets too thick, it will just trap the smaller amounts of juices.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
---and got it down----

:lol: this is what scares me with juicing...the taste LOL

some of the concoctions I am reading sound frightening...especially the green drinks.

but alot of them are saying to use apple as a sweetener to 'get it down' :/

good to know you used the frozen cranberries. I will definitely bag up tons of frozen strawberries this coming year. I love them but don't use tons of them when not in season, I hate the texture of eating a frozen strawberry but I believe they will do well to get some good juice from them.

hey I found this V8 substitute. I love V8 juice. I am going to buy all I need to make this and see what happens....I hope it tastes 'somewhat' like V8----has anyone tried a vegetable drink?

Raw V8 Juice

All produce should be organic or locally grown.

6 medium-sized carrots
1 small beet (wash well)
3 large tomatoes
1 bag baby spinach
1/4 head fresh cabbage
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
3 stalks celery
1/4 sweet onion
1/2 clove garlic or less if you don't care for garlic
Kale leaves (a little goes a long way so be careful)
Chili pepper to taste Salt to taste

Wash all vegetables thoroughly. Run all the vegetables through your juicer, add sea salt to taste, and then sit back and enjoy the healthiest V-8 juice around.

Tabasco sauce to taste can be substituted for the chili pepper.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well.....juicing fresh veggies and juices does give you the unadulterated product from the vine. No salts and sugars etc.....flavor enhancers. You'll just have to juice a few things, and see how that goes. Carrot juice is nice and sweet....but, I use it as a base. Don't wanna turn orange ...yanno. Celery straight, is watery and somewhat salty, but it is good sodium that your body can use. Apple juice, is well.....apple juice.
There are more concentrated vitamins and minerals etc...in things like parsley, ginger, and herbs. Some of those, you don't want to take in great quantities. I have a juicer book, but it is ancient (like 1978), and packed in a box still.

There are several delicious and healthy juices you can consume. Not all juices taste bad. They don't have a shelf life though. You are supposed to drink them with-in 15 minutes of juicing..or they start to turn brown and lose their nutrient value. You don't want to make up any more than you would consume immediately. And, my acme requires it be washed and rinsed with cold water and scrub brush, asap. I don't know what yours does for cleaning.

Tomato juice will be pulpy.
Spinach leaves have to be rolled like a cigar

How much will the V8 recipe make? And, can you, would you, drink it all up at once? I usually juice 1/2 bag of carrots, 1/2 bag of celery, and 2 or 3 apples. That makes around 4 cups of liquid.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the health benefit of throwing away the fiber? Frankly I eat more fruit and veggies raw just for the fiber. I am planning some major dental work and the dentist suggested a blender until I get my teeth replaced, a juicer was never mentioned as an option.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good info Moxie.

just knowing that the celery will add a bit of salty taste to a drink is good info to find out. it means I can combine veggies instead of adding salt etc.

ah, you are a wealth of juice info I bet. I am just starting....I sure have tons of experimenting to do!!

Do you use your pulp? In my juicer manual it says to mix the pulp of certain drinks into meatloaf, bread loaves like zucchini, apple pulp muffins and a bunch more recipes. seems like if I have a 'more apple/fruit' drink I should freeze the pulp for later use in muffins. I have to say they do use all the pulp and juice. I was surprised to know I could freeze the pulp and use in cooking later. it was good to find out.

One website said they put all pulp into a bit of water and freeze in cubes and give them to the dogs as a treat. hmm....

Latest posts