ANYONE do the juicing thing?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't have others but menapause has got a hold on me right now and it stinks!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yourbadd

is this a new machine now? sounds like you know juicing very well......I gotta pump you for info! LOL

that drink you made sounds good. Can you add some 'water' to make it less thick? can that work?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I just saw on the web a site that 'gives' healthly recipes to 'attack' some diseases, like altimerzers, chronic fatigue and others. WHILE it is says it is not a cure ever, it shows what veggies/fruits help a certain situation. It was very interesting and I am reading up more on it.

but key for me is boosting that immune system. you have a good immune system you are starting way ahead of medical troubles that can come from having a depressed immune system for sure
I firmly believe it isn't just about what you eat, but what you don't eat... i.e. not eating the processed garbage that is sold as "food". Cutting that out, and adding the juicing could really boost your system.
Moxie, I saw an article not long ago about a woman who reversed her MS through her diet. If you're interested I can dig it out again.

We don't juice, we do smoothies. We had to purchase a really powerful blender to handle it, but we love it. We got a Blendtec, and it has been wonderful and well worth the expense. It can even handle kale. The trick that we use is some fruit and more veggies. It is an awesome way to sneak extra veggies into my diet without me knowing it :p I also love it because it can handle doing other things, too. It turns almonds into dust in a matter of seconds, and can easily handle making home made hummus with no sweat. I like it, too, because it can handle blending up the core of the pineapple and you would never know it when you drink the smoothie.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ah you got one of those mega blenders. I saw those. I was on the fence about a big boy blender or a juicer. I have a regular blender so I swayed to the juicer this time.

some of the fancy blenders are unbelievable now, heck they can make hot soup too

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
That reminds me....I keep a bag of frozen cranberries in my freezer, at all times. I really needed them back in November, when I came down with a kidney stone. I pulled out the bag, and juiced half one day, the remainder, the next day. You cannot drink the juice unsweetened..it is very nasty. But, I juiced it with carrots and celery.....and got it down. I don't see why you couldn't experiment with frozen strawberries. On something like that....I put the thick stuff through the juicer first...then let a more juicy item..(apples or celery), go right behind it to rinse all the goodies into my container. My ACME juicer, the pulp builds up, so I have to clean it out midway if I am doing alot of juice. The pulp gets too thick, it will just trap the smaller amounts of juices.
:lol: You really shouldn't generalize like this, you'll scare people away :lol: IMO (and I know I am a little weird) cranberry juice, unsweetened, is just fine - in small quantities, and diluted! On the few occasions when I have used it to combat a UTI I have wanted to avoid the extra sugar, and have drunk it (like medicine), a shot at a time, unsweetened. I suppose I should add that I don't have a juicer, and so cook the berries in a bit of water till they pop and release their juice; maybe they are as nasty as you say when raw, I wouldn't know.
Farmerchick - as stated, I don't have a juicer, but I would imagine that if you start with something you like (apples, carrots), and add other things in, starting small and adding till you no longer find it pleasant, that you will come up with some great mixtures. Have fun with it :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea it is going to be trial and error on taste for sure

especially I want hubby to try some and get some benefits from more veggies. he doesn't eat alot. I have no problem with my kid, she eats veggies, hubby is the bad one and the person who could sure benefit from having veggies hidden in a drink.

first one I am trying on him is pineapple, spinach, kale (and add some apple if needed) but the recipe said the pineapple takes over the spinach and kale. if I could get hubby to take a few shots of that I would be very happy. it means he got some greens into him--it kills me to see what a rotten eater he truly is and I have to try to change it somehow slowly

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You 'juicers' can't seem to agree about the amount of pulp =fiber produced/discarded. Meanwhile I sit here snacking on veggies and fruit because it is low cal and fills me up so I eat less at meals and the fiber is supposed to keep my gut clean. I can't buy in tp the juicer clsims they just are not logical.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Here's a tip for people that don't want to waste the fiber. Stick the pulp in a container in the freezer and whenever it fills up- make soup stock from it.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Yourbadd

is this a new machine now? sounds like you know juicing very well......I gotta pump you for info! LOL

that drink you made sounds good. Can you add some 'water' to make it less thick? can that work?
It is a new machine and I have no clue about juicing!! I just grabbed what I had laying around to "give it a go". I think I just watched the infomercial a little too much!! I read thru the recipe book and am a little wary of the green juices but figure I can use apple or pineapple to mask the flavor. I am looking to boost my immune system and overall healthy with veggies that I admit I don't eat enough of!!

I did read in the destruction manual to NEVER add water into the machine. To thin juices or make smoothies you need to transfer to a blender to add liquids. The thickness of the juice wasn't a huge issue, just different!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
I read thru the recipe book and am a little wary of the green juices but figure I can use apple or pineapple to mask the flavor. I am looking to boost my immune system and overall healthy with veggies that I admit I don't eat enough of!!
With our smoothies we make them like this: 2 bananas (I know you can't do that in the juicer, but its the smoothie recipe), 1 large handful of a type of fruit, a second small handful of another type of fruit, 1 large handful of something green, and one small handful of something green, then enough liquid to smooth it out (I will often use fruit juice if I don't have enough "sweet" fruit in it, I have used grape juice and apple cider on occassion). If that isn't sweet enough, I'll add some raw honey, and if it gets REALLY messed up for some reason I'll rescue it with Maple Syrup :p
The fruit we use everything from strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango, citrus, pineapple (core and all), etc etc...
Greens are anything that can be chopped up and put in: Kale, Mixed greens, spinach, parsley, etc etc etc....

The folks at my office looked at me very strangely when I started bringing in these green drinks, and my response is that you can't taste the color!