ANYONE do the juicing thing?

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I juice organic carrots and apples together almost every morning. If you want it to be more palatable just put the juice in the blender with a frozen ripe banana and you have a nice creamy smoothie.

You can keep the juice a bit longer if you use an empty wine bottle and one of those kits to pump the oxygen out of left over wine. I got mine at W@lM@rt in the housewares section. You can make the juice the night before and it will stay pretty fresh storing it in the wine bottle.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like carrot,beet, sour apple,and celery. My dd will only drink apple juice.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
So what kind of juicers does everyone use? I know I said I wasn't a juicer and didn't plan to be, but I read Crazy, Sexy Diet and watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (I do a lot of nutrition reading every winter :)) and felt motivated to try juicing! I'm borrowing my sister's juicer but don't like it. It makes more pulp than juice.

In the FSND documentary, they use Breville juicers. What do you all recommend?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I recently got a Vitamix and we are loving it! Smoothies have really made breakfast a snap and cleanup is thirty seconds, I love it! I need to do more reading but I like the thought of eating the whole fruit/veggie rather than juice (which my kids have never had, even when they were little) so we don't really like. It has been interesting to see other peoples ingredients and choices ;)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read a thread on BYC that inspired me to get a Jack LaLane juicer. I have lost 12 pounds, and the juice is great. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/597369/juice-cleanse

I am freezing the pulp for future chicken popsicles this summer when I search frantically for something to cool off the girls in 100+++++ degree heat. My DH doesn't like the green juice, but loves the fruit juice. I juice for him, sweet potato, carrots, apples and oranges. For me, it is ginger, a lime, 3 cucumbers, 1 bell pepper, 1 bunch celery. It makes enough for 2 days. Tonight we had our juice and 2 boiled eggs for protein. I can't drink just the juice and water-I have to have real food to go with it, I'm eating less and NO SNACK JUNK!!

Good luck to everyone who wants to juice-it's really good!

Improvementalist

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Parsley juice is really powerful. You don't need much as it's so rich in nutrients. I always find a little ginger in whatever I'm making gives a real energy burst.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pineapple, ginger and carrot is fantastic. I love my carrot juice just plain but this combo is running a close 2nd.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We used the jack lalane juicer for awhile but it never made a lot of juice. I waited a bit and got the breville juice fountain on sale. Its easier to clean, makes more juice and its more durable but.......... its still 150-200 bucks on sale