ANYONE do the juicing thing?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a very interesting thread to me, as I've always been told that eating the whole vegetable and ensuring that we include veggies and fruits of every colour in our diet for maximum nutrient intake is better than merely consuming the sugary water from those same veggies/fruits and throwing away the valuable fibre (and some of the non-water soluble nutrients). My impression has always been that food as close to how it is provided by nature is the best.

You haven't changed my mind (not that I have the cash to spend on a juicer anyway) but I'll keep reading.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie
I am not ditching the fiber. the pulp is going to be used mostly in my foods unless I start to get tons of excess and then to compost.

and remember, it is not always sugary. only when you do the fruits are you hitting that line. veggie juice is good also.

but I agree. if you can eat a full apple, eat it. I do. But there are times I want the nutrients and not the food.

I think too you have to enjoy the 'juice' factor. I love drinking...lol, and these combo juices are truly tasty, filling, enjoyable. So if you have a tendency to head toward juices etc, then experimenting with nutritious and fresh combos is worth it, like for me.

I think there are juicers and non juicers :p

I thought the clean up and such would be a pain but it was sooooo easy which means I will be consuming defintely alot of nutrients from these juices. easy clean up means I will do it, enjoy it on a constant basis.

and if I feel like Super Girl after a month of drinking good stuff, I will let ya all know :lol:

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did notice, the new juicers have much better clean up then my ACME juicer. I had bought a new one back in 1990....back then, it was harder to get parts for the ACME. But, anyway, I wasn't satisfied with the way it juiced, but was impressed with the ease of clean up.

I have always been one to eat and love my veggies...but, since growing up with juicing, Prevention Mag, and etc........I just continued it on with me. I already knew how to do it, and had the juicer.

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You really need a high speed juicer or it's not worth doing and too expensive. I had an inexpensive juicer at first and it was a waste of time and food. It got very little juice from the produce. Now I have a big Breville stainless steel monster from Sur La Table that squeezes every last bit of the juice from the veggies.

Some one questioned why not just eat the whole food. And in their defense eating the whole food would be best, but how many of us are going to be able to eat and process all the fiber in a pound of carrots, an apple, and a head of kale each day. That's what I juice each morning. The nutrients are in a form that I can absorb easily and I know it's fresh, organic, and not filled with chemicals. I eat a lot of raw foods so getting enough fiber is not an issue for me. Getting a blast of nutrients each morning to start my day rather than a caffeine filled beverage is much healthier for me.
I haven't had caffeine in 10 years and don't miss it.

Plus, your hair,skin, and nails will never look better. Carrots are a lot cheaper than Botox.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know the experts say to drink any juiced fruit/veggies right away or you'll risk losing nutrients...however, I don't have the time or inclination to drag my juicer outta the pantry everyday. So, I am gonna experiment a little!! I juiced a ton of apples, 1 large pineapple, 1 papaya, 1lb of strawberries, 1 large bunch of spinach and 2 prickly pear fruits. I will store that concoction in my fridge for drinking all week.

Surprisingly, the fruits masked the spinach, my picky DH and all the kids loved it! I juiced 2 cucumbers separately but after a little experimenting decided not to add them in. I thought it tasted good, but then again, I love cukes!

Prickly pear juice was so good i would drink it straight! Need to look into growing them in Ohio :gig

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that does sound delish. yup, hiding some good veggies for hubby in a fruit juice mix is what I am doing also.

the celery. hmm...I love celery but I sure could taste it and it was 'kinda' different. It wasn't bad enough not to drink, but I thought it kinda 'had that taste' lol

all week in fridge? I know all the sites I hit said 24 hrs. but if you want to they said add lemon into it to keep it from browning and going bad.

I thought the same, like, what a pain to drag it out hahaha...so I made a space for it on the counter. easy peezy lol

off to find some prickly pear :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mother got some individual freezer cups with lids and is going to try to juice her carrots for the week on one day and then freeze....previously and for the past 17 years she has been dragging the juicer out each morning, juicing two cups worth for her and Dad then cleaning up her juicer each day.

Carrot juice is one that darkens after the first day and the taste goes a little off...supposed to lose nutrients as well but I'm not sure just how other than just deterioration of the juice as it starts to go bad.

homestead wanna be

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I juice green apples and carrots for my kids. They love it. I have a cuisinart juicer and it really seems to get all the juice from the produce. You can always save vegetable pulp and cook it down into a vegetable broth before you put it on the compost pile.
Fresh juice just gives you a natural pick up!

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What do you all juice?? I haven't started growing my wheatgrass yet and have been using my wheatgrass juicer for juicing other things. So far i have done, Carrots, Beets, Spinach, Green Apples and Red Apples. What else is there?? I want to grow some Kale too. Other than that, what veggies/fruits are there that do well in the juicer??
My son didnt like the dark green juice taht was coming out... (looks too healthy :lol: I guess) anyways, so i tried a little beet in there to make it a pretty red color, and it just turned Brown because when you mix green and red, you get brown. So now it looks even MORE unappetizing!! Good thing my 14 month old doesnt care and will eat/drink anything!!! He got a whole cup of healthy juice last night cuz my other one and hubby didnt take more than a sip. Suxs cuz i was doing this MORE for them than me cuz i eat veggies/fruit on a regular basis, and they dont. I think ill have to add less veggies for now and something more sweet and then gradually work my way up. Any suggestions for other veggies/fruits??? Thanks

Latest posts