Anyone Else Currently Homeschooling?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The school asked you to keep them home? What the heck kind of school is that?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of counterwill, a different title from ODD for the same thing? I've worked with many kids with ODD. I imagine it's very hard to homeschool when your child doesn't want to do it! And we all know kids behave worst for their parents!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My kids are between the ages of 30 and 12 and it was the same for them all, lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That and armed guards at schools. We have a resource officer at the high school. Not for shootings, but he'd stop that too.

It is one reason I homeschool, but not the only reason.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am thankful -- BIG time -- that my children are not a school issue for me!! Glad I have non in school. Now, DGD is to start college this Fall. We are still waiting to see if that will be virtual or ???

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am homeschooling and homeschooled...

Have 5 boys, ages 12 to 22.

Still schooling the youngest 3.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually getting stuff done ahead of time?

I can only barely imagine!
No I just hate it and want to trash half of it and come up with other ideas 🤣 we are ahead in some areas though! I’m really picky…. I prefer to come up with my own curriculum, but that got a lot harder having 3 kids than it was with one!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Oooo! I might just have to pick your brain sometimes! My DS9 has ADHD and has been exceedingly oppositional in the past/recent past. I had his ADHD med switched right before starting to homeschool him and accelerated him 2 more grade levels. He has been AWESOME ever since.

His previous school would not pay for electives unless students were doing well in core classes. That was a vicious spiral, especially since he had to repeat material he had self-studied over summer just to prove he knew it. He refused to participate in school at all. I had to request an extended excused absense to avoid truancy trouble. Now he's doing 5 - 7 hours of schoolwork a day, because he wants to. It's amazing! I love that I can register him as an "ungraded" student and not stress out about his "asynchrony."

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love hearing stories like that! I have major issues with the way public schools function, and kids like him struggle so much when they really need to learn their own way! I'm so glad you are able to do what's right for him and that he's doing well!

I worked with many kids with ADHD and I spent a lot of time teaching kids self regulation. And probably just as much time convincing teachers that they could teach this student if they were willing to change how they teach a little.

You're welcome to pick my brain anytime. It's fun for me!