Anyone Else Currently Homeschooling?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I currently only have one child to homeschool. She made me believe she had her books at her big sisters house and stayed there over 2 months while I suffered through the aftermath of Hurricane Ida. So yesterday she was down the bayou with DH and she called me asking for a puppy. I used the puppy as a way to get her back on track with school.
The school sent all new books because of our losses and today I bought two binders to keep her lessons and tests in.
I tried getting her in English and she started rolling her eyes. She wants to go to her dad’s house a few days. I texted my ex to get him on board.
I told her if she is too distracted she can come home and we will go to the library a few times a week.
I should be able to get her on track as long as the ex works with me. I mean she is the only one.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I LOVE talking homeschooling! I am just starting with my 4 year old daughter. I am actually a certified teacher, left public schools a year ago and haven't looked back! I was a special education teacher, specializing in autism and behavior disorders. I do miss the kids sometimes, but this is where I belong now!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is so awful, I'm sorry he had that experience. I worked with a student with aspergers who had a similar situation until I started working with him. Not tooting my own horn, I made a lot of people unhappy aggressively going to bat for him. And his guardian and I pulled him out of classes where the teachers were practically bullying him and I taught him 1:1, he only went to classes where the teacher was interested in helping him.

I'm glad your son is doing well now, schools forget that parents know their kids much better than teachers do!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My sons are adopted and two of them have RAD which means one of them can't bond to anyone and the other the one the school couldn't (wouldn't) deal with could live without me. The 15 year old is just in the throes of teenage rebellion now. He's 15 going on 35 or so he thinks.

Yes, why is it that kids do so much better for anyone else, lol. People talk about my polite, sweet, helpful boys and I just shake my head in disbelief.

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The area I live in has a few homeschoolers, and there is one co-op, but we don't fit in with it. At least he has been in cub scouts this whole time and getting ready for his first year of boy scouts. I wish more people would be less afraid to give home education a try (though it isn't for everyone and I do feel public schools are important still). I briefly contemplated starting up my own homeschool group, so that if you didn't fit with the one, you had another option to try. It was a fleeting thought LOL.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yep! As of May 21, 2018 more US students died in school shootings than US soldiers killed in combat zones in 2018.:ep Shocking! Granted there are a lot more students in the US - about 75 million - than soldiers in combat zones - about 15K by my best internet estimate. But still. .... :eek:

DS11 figured out there was a school shooting more than once a week (23 in 21 weeks) in 2018, and he knows the the majority of the shooters were between 14 and 17 years old. o_O Why would I put him back in a public school, exactly?

If any good would come of school shootings, it would be increase in homeschooling. JMO.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I did well with DS14's life skills. He can cook, bake, any household cleaning, laundry, weed, garden, muck, feed/water, etc. Willingness to do the job right is different from ability 😅😣

DS6 ... not so much. He is more mechanical/construction oriented and helps or watches DH with fixing and building. He also can't (won't) make a sandwich - but he can slice fresh bread 🤔. Can't/won't clean his room - he believes he can't and won't try. 🤦‍♀️ I think its a motivation problem, but I'm not sure what to do about it or how to prioritize.

At 6, DS14 could hang up clothes, fold small laundry, clean his room, waah dishes, cut veggies with a paring knife, etc.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No I just hate it and want to trash half of it and come up with other ideas 🤣 we are ahead in some areas though! I’m really picky…. I prefer to come up with my own curriculum, but that got a lot harder having 3 kids than it was with one!
Ah! I totally get that!

I used/use curriculum for math, but until high school most stuff I cobbled together on my own.

With a bunch of kids we were still able to do language arts, history, geography and Science all together. I just read out loud, and then quizzed with harder questions going to older kids.

And hands on stuff older kids got harder stuff, little kids a related coloring page.

Do dictation, older kids get graded harder... everyone does penmanship together but younger kids huge letters on a dry erase board and older kids copy work cursive.

For science an older kid "helps" the younger kid with understanding stuff or experiments.

Once you hit high school... way harder to impossible to do all together.

BUT, hopefully by then they can do most on their own.