Anyone Else Currently Homeschooling?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
No I just hate it and want to trash half of it and come up with other ideas 🤣 we are ahead in some areas though! I’m really picky…. I prefer to come up with my own curriculum, but that got a lot harder having 3 kids than it was with one!
I am so picky about curriculum too! Last year, DS6 was in public virtual charter school for Kindergarten. The staff pushed us toward "complete" curriculum. I despise complete curriculum and we barely used any of it. He did great with Kumon workbooks because each one focuses on a specific skill. I'm very careful to not let him get ahead of grade level in reading, writing, and math because I want him back in public school ASAP.

We are currently using the same math curriculum as the elementary school uses - Eureka, plus Kumon, plus Math Seeds online program. He is using Reading Eggs and Fast Phonics, Kumon, and sometimes IXL.

I have the problem of finding more good material than a kid can use.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No I just hate it and want to trash half of it and come up with other ideas 🤣 we are ahead in some areas though! I’m really picky…. I prefer to come up with my own curriculum, but that got a lot harder having 3 kids than it was with one!
Ah! I totally get that!

I used/use curriculum for math, but until high school most stuff I cobbled together on my own.

With a bunch of kids we were still able to do language arts, history, geography and Science all together. I just read out loud, and then quizzed with harder questions going to older kids.

And hands on stuff older kids got harder stuff, little kids a related coloring page.

Do dictation, older kids get graded harder... everyone does penmanship together but younger kids huge letters on a dry erase board and older kids copy work cursive.

For science an older kid "helps" the younger kid with understanding stuff or experiments.

Once you hit high school... way harder to impossible to do all together.

BUT, hopefully by then they can do most on their own.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I currently only have one child to homeschool. She made me believe she had her books at her big sisters house and stayed there over 2 months while I suffered through the aftermath of Hurricane Ida. So yesterday she was down the bayou with DH and she called me asking for a puppy. I used the puppy as a way to get her back on track with school.
The school sent all new books because of our losses and today I bought two binders to keep her lessons and tests in.
I tried getting her in English and she started rolling her eyes. She wants to go to her dad’s house a few days. I texted my ex to get him on board.
I told her if she is too distracted she can come home and we will go to the library a few times a week.
I should be able to get her on track as long as the ex works with me. I mean she is the only one.