Anyone else drink raw milk?

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
She stores the milk in half gallon canning jars. When she opened the fridge, there was a good 3 to 4 inches of cream on the top of each jar. Of course, by the time we poured 'em into our bucket, drove it home and poured it into our own jars (we'll just take clean jars and swap 'em out next time) it was all blended back together. Tomorrow morning, however....I'm thinking some on a nice hot bowl of oatmeal with some fresh strawberries from our little patch! :drool

milkman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My family drinks raw milk and would like to start supplying it here in western NC of course only for *feeding pets. (<;

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know this is an old post that has been resurrected, but DH and I drink raw milk. I also make Kefir and raw milk cheese. In fact, today I started a new batch of cheese. Raw milk and cream are the bomb! :) :drool

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I buy raw milk from a woman that has a couple of Jerseys and love it, but I have discovered that if I want sweet fresh milk, I have to drink it within about 5 days-- otherwise I start to get a little sour in it.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea, maybe your supplier isn't keeping the milk cold enough, or perhaps your fridge needs to be colder. The place I buy my milk from; it is sometimes nearly a week old when I get it. It still lasts two more weeks in the fridge, but it does have to be cold. Also, if I get milk spilled and gummed around the top of the jar and lid, that spoils in a hurry and I can get a whiff of sour milk from that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wondered about that too. My raw goat milk routinely lasts up to two weeks. We drink it without question up until 10 days and only after that do I begin to 'sniff' it. I make it a point during warmer weather to take a double icer (as opposed to a double boiler, lol) set-up to the barn with me. I pour the milk, as I milk it, into a pan that is set into another pan full of ice water so the milk starts cooling within minutes of leaving the goat.

Latest posts