Anyone else 'going at it alone'?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I mix up a batch of vinegar spray and use that along the fencelines once a month to keep the weeds down-

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How strong? Does it mess with the pH of the soil in your garden, or is this strictly pasture fence? Thanks for the idea. I would love to try it with my electronet fencing.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh yeah. When we were kids we often ranged far and wide. We always told our parents where we were going. But, in our meanderings we were often out of "yelling distance". So, we had a "call bell." Two blasts from the car horn would notify us that we needed to high tail it home.

An other fond memory: getting into our pajamas, turning the back end of the station wagon into a comfy "bed" and going to the drive in movies.

And the A & W Root Beer stand. It was a drive in restaurant. The waitresses would often wear rollerskates, come to your car to take your order, then deliver the food on trays that would hook over the car door when the window was rolled down. The root beer was awesome. Nothing like the stuff you buy today at the grocer.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses is a super hero doing it alone

Awwwh… thanks! But, really I just plug along like many.

No spouse for many years but, DD & DS will help in emergency (which I try NOT have) and for an occasional "special" task that I may want/need more hands to work. DS is a builder, so when I ask him to help and get nothing going soon enough, I start it and he will come "finish". I had him do the main frame on a small run-in and I sided/roofed it. He owes me big time and I DO PLAY the quilt card if all else fails ! :lol: Mostly I do the work and most building/repairs...yeah, you may drive up & find me on the roof! I actually like to do these things. Plus, the animals are mine and not their responsibility. NEITHER wants to milk my goats -- and neither wants any of the milk. :rolleyes: Eggs they both take eagerly. Pork, yes, that too...when I send any to butcher. Goat meat, not yet. Haven't let them sneak taste it either.

There are many of us out here "going it alone" at farming & gardening. At some point I suspect I will cut back but, for now I hope to quit one of two jobs within the year. Most likely it will be Spring of 2020 as both are so slow in winter that I only work about 3 days a week. Right now, one job is gearing up for heavy hours and I won't do that next year....I want to be home for earlier goat kidding. Plus I want to retire and stay home to do more with my farm! :cool: This year I hope to accomplish more with raising some of the animal feeds needed for winter. Once that works, I'm home!! Plus, tractor gets paid off end of this year. That's a big plus emotionally & financially. :clap

You may need to learn to adapt your way of doing things when you are the sole "doer". And with age, you do learn equipment can be helpful (my tractor!) Personally I feel the farm keeps me young, mentally alert and physically strong...to a degree. :D Some things get put off, more than you may want...but, done eventually.

The only things about "alone" is that it is more fun in the garden to share with someone "look, the tomatoes are setting fruit", or simple conversation over dinner. I use this forum for much of that "sharing". :) At least THEY understand how gigantic a thrill it is to pick that first ripe tomato of the season, or understand the heartbreak of losing a newborn kitten, your nights sitting with a sick goat -- or horse, pig, etc. -- and WHY you do it. :love I've wanted a farm since I was about 5 and since 1970 I have always had one. It's my dream life. No plans to stop. I loaded & unloaded about 800 lbs of hay this morning...alone. At 73 I think I'm doing ok and my animals agree. :old

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Lazy Gardener I mix a gallon of vinegar with 1/4 cup Dawn dishwashing liquid. The original recipe added 2 cups of epsom salts as well, but it seems to me I read that epsom salts are a fertilizer, so that seemed counterproductive to me. I use a piece of cardboard to shield any plants I want to keep from the overspray. This doesn't kill the roots (unless you were to use real salt, but that could be dangerous in the garden) but it does kill all the top growth.
I just use normal strength vinegar and it doesn't seem to be hurting the soil. I've heard of stronger vinegar you can buy (on Amazon, I think) but so far the cheap stuff seems to work for me.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will ahve to keep the vinegar solution in mind also. There are alot of areas that i can't weed-wack, that need weed control.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I tried a vinegar/Dawn solution on the poison ivy around the edges of my "tamed" land. The PI just laughed in my general direction and continued it's march to dominate the world.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It seems that just about everyone references spouses, significant others, kids, parents or other family as sharing chores or helping with the work. I was just wondering how many others out there are doing it alone?
OK... not REALLY alone because of the wealth of info online and neighbors that can be called in occasionally - but getting through the day to day, in & outs alone.

I am and have been for years now. Oh, my mother mows the lawn(she loves that chore, so I let her have it) and weedeats to her heart's content, but most everything else I do around here, I do alone. This past year my son moved back here on the land and occasionally he'll cut down or cut up a tree or build something like the new outhouse for us, but that's about the extent of that, as he works long hours and has ZERO interest in doing anything homesteading.

I've been single since '87, so raised three kids on my own and have done all the man stuff alone as well. When the boys got into the teens I could make them help me with some of it, but as soon as they flew the nest, I was going it alone once again.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh yeah. When we were kids we often ranged far and wide. We always told our parents where we were going. But, in our meanderings we were often out of "yelling distance". So, we had a "call bell." Two blasts from the car horn would notify us that we needed to high tail it home.

An other fond memory: getting into our pajamas, turning the back end of the station wagon into a comfy "bed" and going to the drive in movies.

And the A & W Root Beer stand. It was a drive in restaurant. The waitresses would often wear rollerskates, come to your car to take your order, then deliver the food on trays that would hook over the car door when the window was rolled down. The root beer was awesome. Nothing like the stuff you buy today at the grocer.
I remember that. They did that at a restaraunt in my town. Best rootbeer ever.

Im going it alone. Have been since 96. Probably will be til I croak.

Latest posts