1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Support bar for top of run - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else 'going at it alone'?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by canesisters, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Feb 19, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That's a neat concept - but could well be fraught with problems depending on different personalities. But, it would be really cool to make something like that work.

2. Feb 19, 2019
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Jumping back to the original question, DH is mostly doing this all alone. I work in the garden when I can, and several years in a row that mean *nothing*. I don't do barn chores in winter - I'm too prone to cold stress injuries, it's not worth it. I don't do any farm chores in winter!

I do keep track of sheep records and decide breedings, sales, purchases. I schedule shearing. I buy garden seed. I do the small cuts of butchering and wrapping.

DH does all the mowing, brush hogging, snow plowing, tree planting, fence work, animal feeding, vaccines/ear tags/veterinary, hay buying/unloading/stacking, loading and hauling animals to auction, everything involving a tractor, everything involving a trailer, killing/skinning/gutting/hanging/primals/grinding.

I will not be able to stay here if he dies before me. :/

3. Feb 20, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

All that activity will keep him healthy. But, there's something to be said for the one that does all the planning - for me planning is stressful!

4. Apr 15, 2019
    canesisters

canesisters Lovin' The Homestead

I was searching the forum for a recipe for peach ice cream and for some reason it put me on this thread...???
    Anyway I thought that I would update. I had company this weekend. Non-farming company. Out of state family that I love dearly but who find all things 'farmy' to be dirty and gross... which means that I've been working my daily farm goings on in between eating out 3 meals a day. Straining milk and putting into the fridge (WITH the FOOD :eek:), skimming cream into jars for the freezer (also WITH FOOD :eek:), cleaning milking supplies (IN the SINK :eek:) and sitting eggs (some with suspicious dark smears on them :eek:) on the COUNTER - IN THE KITCHEN got a bit of side-eye going on between them.
    Soooo - long story slightly shortened - it is CLEAR that having just anyone on the farm that is ABLE to help is not in any way actually HELP unless they happen to share my 'farmy' views on life and dirt and early mornings and such..... :gig

baymule, Rammy, sumi and 1 other person like this.
  5. Apr 15, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Almost Self-Reliant

What could you possibly be thinking? To actually bring REAL food into your kitchen and store it with intent to actually eat it???? Why don't you just go to the store and buy your food? Of course it all magically appears in the neat cello packages without ever actually having come in contact with dirt!

6. Apr 15, 2019
    canesisters

canesisters Lovin' The Homestead

25r30wi[1].gif funny[1].gif loudlaff[1].gif sHa_hehe.gif

Rammy and sumi like this.
  7. Apr 15, 2019
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

There are people out there who think no animals were harmed in the process of getting meat into those neat little packages in the supermarket fridges and the milk and dairy too... It's sad that many are so out of touch with our food supply that they are horrified by a glimpse of the reality of farming. And we homesteaders are doing things nicely!

canesisters likes this.
  8. Apr 15, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Well, with your "contaminated" kitchen, you HAD to eat at a place with pesticide sprays and rat traps at each corner! Guess you just don't realize the gravity of your healthy life. :idunno:lol:

To each his own. I like my farm ways.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    canesisters and Rammy like this.
  9. Apr 16, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Some boat here... That's why I try and create easy ways of doing the chores in case I'm down, I won't kill my wife with excess heavy work.

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  10. Apr 16, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

I really need to simplify some of my procedures. I don't mind going the extra mile - but it's not always necessary.