Anyone else shop at a dollar store?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Unless the food is disguised as shopping carts, our dollar store doesn't even carry any... I'd say you all are lucky, but if none of us here would eat it anyway.. :lol:

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lucky for me our Dollar Tree's seem to have quite a bit of name brand foods on the shelf--normally they are cheaper than the big local box stores but if the big box store has it on sale then it is not.
I often buy the brooms and other cleaners there as many of them are name brand.
they also have been carrying name brand make up-- some allamay and the sally hanson nail stuff. Just gotta be picky and read all the labels.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
:thumbsup I LOVE Dollar Tree...Just was there today. :ep
2 cookie sheets
2 brownie pans
2 8" round cake pans
several(like 12) flame less candles Just had an issue with my real candle vibrating off the edge of the whirlpool tub, burning and scalding me with hot wax :somad
candy
batteries for the flame less candles
bump its for my 12 yo
ect. ect...

lilac392000

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i like the dollar store!
some school supplies
dish sponges and soaps
shower curtains
shampoo & conditioners
tupperwares
I got a microphone for pc for a buck!
energy drinks..usually 2.50 at walmart> hubby has to have his drinks :D
they have these pretzels big bags, love those
and more

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't shop at the "Dollar Tree" since it is about 30 minutes away, but I do a lot of shopping at the Dollar General and Family Dollar. They are just 5 miles down the road. I do most of my food shopping at DG and FD, since our local grocery is outragous on their prices. There is a big difference in the Dollar Tree and the FD and DG. Both FD and DG stores carry name brand stuff and don't carry the "stuff" the Dollar Tree does.Besides you can't buy hardly anything for $1 in either of them stores :lol: .

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Pregnancy tests.... :hide
LOL - been there, done that! Can't beat $1 for a preggers test when the cheapest at Wallie-World is about $8.

Closest Dollar Tree is in the WM parking lot. So don't go in there very often - like it for school supplies, kids stocking stuffers, wrapping paper and gift bags.

Usually go to the Dollar General (which we all call "The Dollar Store") as it's in the closest town. Buy food, snacks, clothes, etc - usually cheaper and doesn't require a 45-minute drive one-way if your kid has a sudden growth spurt and needs new underwear all of a sudden.

Bee, our "redneck shopping mecca" around these parts is Fred's!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I liked Fred's but our Fred's closed.....:(

we got a new cheap store

Ollie's Cheap Stuff --big store too

hmmm..but I have to say---$1 for books is just great, loaded up with kid books for Nicole for Christmas
and Tony got some of his books and they were like $3-5 each (some hardcover) I was happy with those prices.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We just got a Dollar Store in our town of 900 plus. Locally it is called Wal Mart! And actually it is a welcomed addition to town.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just bought a couple microfiber dust cloths there, and I got the kids some paper to write on. Zip ties for the chickens so I know who is who. Gloves for the coop. Scissors. Sunglasses.

I won't buy food, drinks, or other consumables (cleaning solutions, cosmetics, toiletries) from there. Most of their baking/cooking/storage items are aluminum, teflon, or plastic, and I choose not to use those materials when I cook or bake. I make most of my food from scratch (unless it's canned tomato products, but I buy organic).

We drink water as our main drink. Organic Milk (got a lead on raw milk today!) for my husband and I, Almond milk for the boys. We very rarely drink juice and I don't think I have had a pop in over a year (I think the last time the boys had pop was 2 years ago when my dad gave it to them). My husband will get an occasional Dr. Pepper or Squirt, but I don't even like them anymore.

Cosmetics and Cleaning Supplies-I try not to put anything on my skin, clothes or in the air that I cannot pronounce, or that is toxic. Skin is the largest organ, and will absorb anything you put on it. I don't use lotion or creams(which almost always contain hormone disruptors), and I use an organic shampoo and conditioner. I use an all natural soap as well. I don't burn candles or spray scents since my eyes start burning. I use vinegar and baking soda (I guess I do find deals on BS at the Dollar store) or H2O2 for most of my cleaning.

I sound like such an earth biscuit! LOL