Anyone else shop at a dollar store?

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get 4 packs of soap,bleach,boric acid,candy,cards for 50 cents,6 pack of toothbrushes,dish soap.

At one time I was getting the following items,but sadly no longer carried:Olive soap and name brand frozen veggies.

Sometimes there is soy milk and I will get that for use when we are out of cow milk.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I USED to buy food there...... At Dollar General. Fake carcongenic peas, lead? Do WHAT? :ep I din't know that! I guess you learn something new everyday. I like hitting the 90% off sales. That is always clothes or decorations or gardening stuff. I always load up on gardening stuff when it goes down. Last year I got several hanging Buzzy baskets with the seed and stuff for .65 each. Normally $6.50. I have bought clothes for .45 there before.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dollar Tree: Gardening stuff here sometimes too. I rarely need it but gift wrapping supplies and cards are cheap there. I noticed ours has a teachers' section so I will probably check it out. I used to buy scrapbooking stuff there. Sometimes I pick up a cheap dog toy ($1 is cheap to occupy a 100 pound teething puppy LOL). I have bought the cheapie storage things but not for food. I've bought glass dishes there. Sometimes just the odd thing I might need like bungee cords. Last time I got some big plastic trays for my plant shelf and some huge dish towels to cut up for cloth napkins, and a package of lemon drops that are actually upper end and used to be at the gift shop up the road. I generally avoid the food there.

Dollar General: I visit on a regular basis (ok a few times a year) to buy scrubber sponges at 6/$1, dish soap, and buckets for a little over a dollar that seem to have an awful lot of uses around here (but usually end up toting cups of animal feed or being feed buckets ...
Last time I needed to clean I had to wash out a feed bucket even though I keep trying to save one for inside use). I sometimes buy bread there in a pinch. And once or twice indulged my chocolate fix.

Dollar General is the only store less than 30 or so minutes away (at 65 mph so that's a lot of gas) except a tiny country grocery store where everything costs 2-5 times as much. But unfortunately I really don't use it for much. I have to plan my shopping or do without.

Rozzie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Not usually. Most of the stuff for sale in $1 stores is completely unnecessary landfill fodder.

I'd rather pay a bit more for higher quality kitchen stuff that will last a lifetime than repeatedly buy plastic, poorly made easily bent lightweight metal stuff, and the lightweight ceramic that chips if you touch it.

I'd rather have less stuff & higher quality, than lots of stuff that is low quality.

Besides, there is better stuff in thrift shops for a comparable price, anyway...

As for food, NO WAY I'm putting most dollar store stuff in my body.

Latest posts