Anyone Else Too Cheap to Buy Watch Batteries?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Last summer, the battery in my pocket watch died. I really didn't feel like driving into town, plunking down some more money to buy another battery, prying the case open, etc. Also, it seems as though the last few that I bought didn't last as long as they used to.

So I got on eBay and found me a very nice used, older (50-60's vintage) Elgin wind-up pocket watch for about $8.00 including shipping. Since then I have managed to put a small crack in the bezel, but it is still keeping great time.

Since then I have purchased a Timex wind-up wrist watch off of eBay for about $4.00, including shipping. The auction started at .99 and I was the only one to bid.

I know it's a trivial thing, but a watch battery is one last thing that I will have to purchase should things get bad for us financially. Any other non-battery watch fans?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yep. I do have one windup watch, somewhere, that was given to me, but I rarely wear a watch.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a wind up watch but I have been thinking about getting one recently.

Haven't really looked around for one yet though.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Since I started carrying a cell phone, I stopped wearing a watch. Too cheap to have both!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tony wears watches but they never outlast the battery. He beats the hound out of his watches on the farm.

I never wear a watch. I hate anything around my wrist getting in the way.

I don't think I ever bought a watch battery....LOL

Windup is good...smart move!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I used to wear a watch all the time. I'd even have a white ring around my wrist in summer time.

A couple of years ago, both my watch batteries died. I replaced one and it lasted less than two weeks. Of course, I didn't keep the receipt.

Since, I have gone without a watch. Like FM, I use my cell phone.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have had terrible luck with wind ups. They won't run very long for me and, yes, I do wind them. Dh has one and it seems to keep good time.

I use a digital watch because I train and race, using it to time my runs. My batteries have been impressive with these as long as I buy the latest model and get the fresher battery with it. In 22 years I have only needed to buy 3 watches(lost one) and when the battery dies I take it to my jeweler who replaces it properly in minutes for $10. Batteries last about 3 years and the $10 includes the price of the battery and the labor.

I wish I had more success with wind ups because that is so frugal. Of course they need periodic upkeep, too.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I buy 6.99 watches at Wally World. Battery and watch last about 2 years. Trash it and buy a new one. The one time I replaced a battery in my cheap watch it only lasted a few months.
I use to do the wind up watch and the expensive watch thing. But I end up losing them. So now cheap works for me. If I break it or lose it - no big deal.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have a wind up alarm clock. My watch is a battery one, but since Ivery rarely wear it (church and dress up times, and I don't dress up much), --I "unplug " it between wearing, so a battery will last me a very long time.

debiraymond

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had to reply to this because I have about 25 watches that need batteries. I am now using my cell phone to tell time. :lol:

MY FIRST POST HERE!