Anyone Else Too Cheap to Buy Watch Batteries?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know I am so glad it's not just me. My watch battery died early last summer. Every year it's the same. Last year I opted not to fix it. I don't wear a watch now. I do have a cell phone with time on it. As long as I remember to charge it. Usually if I am out and about I just ask someone.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
debiraymond said:
I had to reply to this because I have about 25 watches that need batteries. I am now using my cell phone to tell time. :lol:

MY FIRST POST HERE!
Hi :frow, good to see a fellow rock hound over here! :D

Buy one battery and switch it around?

debiraymond

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
sylvie said:
debiraymond said:
I had to reply to this because I have about 25 watches that need batteries. I am now using my cell phone to tell time. :lol:

MY FIRST POST HERE!
Hi :frow, good to see a fellow rock hound over here! :D

Buy one battery and switch it around?
LOL that is funny Sylvie! But a great idea. I wonder how many of my watches use the same type of battery?

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Deb!! :frow :welcome

I don't wear a watch and dh had a watch and when the batteries died he took to have it replaced and the battery plus the installation was almost twice as much as the watch!!! :th
So he just uses his cell phone to tell time. I use the computer!! :p :caf

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I find it rather humorous that on a forum where we are so concerned with frugality that we have succumbed to the throw away society when it comes to watches.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I dunno, but it seems to me that good watches are terribly expensive. I believe the old addage applies to many things including watches: They don't make em like they used to. Well Rolexes maybe, but who in there right mind would wear one of those slinging cow crap?

I know for me, I hate to wear a watch. Any watch I wear from moderately expensive to cheapo, always stops working on me. Within about a week or so. Same thing happens with my mom and sister. I have heard that there are some people who's body chemistry throws off watches, but I don't know if that's an old wives tale or not. All I know is that they don' t last when we wear them. :idunno

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I find it easier to have a cheap wall clock in my barn... I placed it so I can see it from the back window, too, so if I am working in the field, I can go up to the window and see the clock.

Welcome, Yappy Fingers!

Reaction score
My DW bought me a nice SEIKO in 93. It's used 2 batteries and still keeps perfect time. I feel neked without my watch.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
I dunno, but it seems to me that good watches are terribly expensive. I believe the old addage applies to many things including watches: They don't make em like they used to. Well Rolexes maybe, but who in there right mind would wear one of those slinging cow crap?

I know for me, I hate to wear a watch. Any watch I wear from moderately expensive to cheapo, always stops working on me. Within about a week or so. Same thing happens with my mom and sister. I have heard that there are some people who's body chemistry throws off watches, but I don't know if that's an old wives tale or not. All I know is that they don' t last when we wear them. :idunno
The same thing happens to me. When I did wear a watch I had to wear one with the kind of strap that covered the back of the watch. :hu Dunno why but it would stop working in a couple days if the metal part of the watch wasn't covered. I have no use really for a watch as I am always home with the kids.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
There are a few decent watches out there that won't cost you as much as a Rolex. Seiko makes some excellent watches, but they are still relatively expensive, at least for my current budget. I do own one that I bought before retiring, though. I have a kinetic, chronograph model with a titanium case that originally cost somewhere in the $300+ range. I only wear it when I'm playing dress up for a meeting or something. I certainly wouldn't wear it out doing chores.

I also own a couple antique pocket watches, but I don't use them often because they are so dang expensive to get repaired, if it is ever needed.

For everyday use, when I'm away from the house, I love the old Elgin pocket watch. I tend to not bang it up so bad as a wrist watch. You can't hardy beat the quality, and the fact that you can pick them up so cheaply off of eBay. I'll probably get another one, since I am bound to eventually destroy this one. :rolleyes: