Anyone Else Too Cheap to Buy Watch Batteries?

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Count me in with the 'wind-up watches'.

I found a pretty little 1950's Helbros watch years ago at a thrift store for under a dollar. It only sort of worked, so for my christmas present that year my mum had it cleaned and repaired. It's worked perfectly ever since. I have to wind it every day and I only lose about 5 minutes a day with it- acceptable for me, I just adjust it to the proper time when I put it on in the morning and wind it.

I love it, and doubt I'll ever go back to a battery.:)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, I invested in an Elgin pocket watch back in 2000 or so, but the market was a little inflated at that time, at least in my neck of the woods. It didn't quite keep time perfectly, so I had it cleaned and some parts repaired and replaced. Now it works fine, but I only wind it up and use it when I am going somewhere on foot and when I need to know the precise time . . . otherwise I rely on my car's clock or just estimate time. I'm atually freaky good at estimating what time it is. :p

I have a heart monitor/watch that I used to use a lot, but it needed the battery relplaced yearly. I replaced it once and by the second time it died, I realized I couldn't care less and haven't used it since.