Anyone have a kitchenaide mixer?

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tell me why you love it, and what you usually use it for, and what attachments you have and love. I am buying a used one off craigslist and am picking it up on Thursday. I'm so excited, I've wanted one of these forEVER!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have the absolute basic model that my mom gave me when I got my first apartment a lot of years ago.... (25+)
It won't die. I almost wish it would since I'd like a pretty color one....
anyway, I use it for mixing of course. I don't have any fancy attachments but probably should so I can do more with it. I knead bread dough in it, whip egg whites.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fwiw, be glad yours is an older one, the company was sold about 5 years ago and the new pretty ones sold at target have plastic gears that apparently strip out really easily.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We got one at Kohls a while back and....

I have to say that I really like it!

The Wife™ wanted the pasta roller/cutters and I was not too up on that idea but since she is The Boss™ we got it anyway....and I have to admit that they work pretty good!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
mamaluv321 said:
Fwiw, be glad yours is an older one, the company was sold about 5 years ago and the new pretty ones sold at target have plastic gears that apparently strip out really easily.
Oh that does make me feel better! Thanks. :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My kitchenaide sits on my counter right by the door. Everyone is instructed in case of fire - grab the kitchenaide on the way out.

I have the grinder attachment and grind my own hamburger from sirloin or whatever I find that is reduced for quick sale. I also mix my bread dough. I have several other attachments that I have never used but they came with the mixer.

I think it really depends on the size of the mixer as to what and how much you might be able to do.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
My dad bought one for mom years ago and she didn't want it on the counter, and of course that meant lifting it up from the cabinet every time she wanted to use it. So, she traded me for my Hamilton Beach. I got the best part of the deal, I think !!!

I don't have any attachments at all. I have used it for ten years or more for everything from meringue to masa for tamales and it has never faltered. I have been careful not to over tax it, such as shutting it off every five minutes while doing a big job, but I am thrilled beyond belief to have been blessed with such an awesome mixer.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend has the meat grinder bit and uses it ALOT, she buys up all the turkey around thanksgiving when it's real cheap and grinds her own turkey. She also raise her her own chickens for meat and uses it then as well. I think I'd like the meat bit as well as the juicer, for making wheat grass and celery ect juices, mainly the stuff that's harder to juice and get dry pulp from. I'm so excited! :D

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll have one either today or tomorrow. Dh REALLY wanted one for Father's Day. I don't, but I grudginly ordered it for him. A little late, since it missed arriving by Father's Day. :rolleyes:

I am not happy about the space it's going to take up. Plus, we already have a breadmaker, a grinder with tons of attachments, etc.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I really love mine. It is heavy, so sits on the counter with a placemat under it so I can push it around. It gets used several times a week - great for kneading bread. I have the strainer/grinder attachments and use them a lot for making applesauce and tomato sauce - no need to peel or core. For applesauce, I cut the apples into 's, cook until soft, and run them through the KA -done!

For tomatoes, just slice in half (to prevent them from squirting all over the place when you push them through - like on my white ceiling - and then cook down to the consistency you want. If you have a lot of cherry tomatoes, it makes quick work of them, since you don't have to peel all those little things.

I also have the slicing attachments, but they aren't very sharp (something like celery ends up being a stringy mess), so I don't use them much.