Anyone here into Dave Ramsey

ellie_may12

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Love Dave. Hopefully, we will be getting back on track. We did a study of his Total Money Makeover book last fall at our church. We got through baby step #1 and started on #2...then I had to have 2 crowns on my teeth. Oh well back to working on the babystep #1.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I have read some of DR stuff on line and I like it. I started about 6 yrs. ago, with the "Your Money or Your Life" by: Joe Domingez. "9-steps" It is very similar to DR.

I still have a couple more years before we are debt free.
DH had us so far buried (about $80,000) :barnie that he let me try to do something about it, without increasing the income that we had.

After he experienced how it worked and could see it was working, he was happy to save receipts and hand over his paycheck to me.

We use mostly cash, but when I have to use a CC I go online and transfer the amount from checking right away.

The great recession slowed us down a bit, but....

I now have very low monthly mortgage payments and I am paying for a used Cadillac Escalade with very low payments, so I can make extra payments. I estimate we can finish in about 2 yrs. (+ or -). :clap I can't wait! Free at last! :weee

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We are currently working the "snowball" and with this economy...it aint rollin like it used to, but we should be debtfree INCLUDING the house in 36 months! Beans and rice...and yard bird :lol: We're working it, and progressing with each paycheck.

For those whose SO is not on board....just sit them down with a calculator and add the interest on each note and/or credit card one by one...DO NOT add the principle...just interest. Once that number is figured...hand them that much cash and a lighter and have them burn it. It makes just as much sense to burn that ammount as it does to pay someone else to manage your hard earned cash. When it becomes EXCRUCIATING to carry that load, they'll look for the means to lighten it.

My DH wasn't on board either until I showed him we pay out $500 a month JUST IN INTEREST :ep Then he got mad :somad Then he got serious about throwing rocks at that monster to get it to go away ;)

P.S. As far as anyone I rent a car, or a hotel room from knows I AM paying with a CC when I use my debit ;) They are backed by CC companies, and the numbers...can be run as credit. I do it ALL the time! Just don't tell them :p

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
"I know I can't do it - too impulsive - so my cards are in a ziplock bag, in a coffee can of water, in my freezer. Want to buy something? wait for the ice to melt and see if it is still so important."

AMAZING! I seriously need a spending FREEZE for my online shopping habit. I am going to do this right now!

THANK YOU FOR THIS AWESOME IDEA!