Anyone in California??

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dzook said:
Hi again. We thought that our coop was pretty tightly built. 5 foot high chain link with 1/2 inch hardware cloth buried in the ground and bird netting over the top. We think it was a raccoon that did the dirty deed. several of the girls were torn apart and two were missing not to be found. This happened during the day. We were coming back from a trip and our dogs were with us. At least they had an airtight alibi.
Did you have any type of netting or wire over the chain link? The holes are huge. I have heard storries about critters reaching in and tearing the hens appart. I acutally use some recycled ostrich fencing on my current run. My pullets hopped right out the holes. So I just wrapped some of that plastic green garden fence all the way arround the run. No problems since. Good lunck on the new ones. Gina

dzook

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi Gina, The 1/2 inch hardware cloth (wire) that is buried in the ground goes up 30 inches. I think the critter came in over the top through the bird netting as there was a hole in it. Before this batch goes into the chicken run we'll replace it with chicken wire. I'm hoping that the weather cools down soon. It's supposed to be about 104 today. To hot.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear you there on the heat. We are in No. County San Diego. Not quite as hot as you but the next couple of days are going to be smokin... I am glad to hear about your run. I have two coops. One is all hardware coloth and lumber. The other we recycled the ostrich fence. It need to be re built. I am working on saving to fence in my property. This way the hens can free range again. Godd luck, gina

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:| I used to live in California - does that count! :gig

I lived in El Cajon, Santee, Lakeside area - east san diego.

I moved to Nebraska a year ago.

Gazinga

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am in Frazier Park California. We are up in the mountians, not as self sufficient as i would like, but we are working on it. We have chickens, fruit trees, gardens and try to can, dry, freeze or make everything we can on our own.

:bun

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am in SD.
I am on a suburban lot but am trying to be as self sufficient as I can in my setting....I have a nice sized garden and try to cook from scratch, keep a full pantry and reduce my waste and my energy usage. I have a rabbit and worms to compost our edible trash. Not much but I am learning as I go :)
Trying to live simply in CA is not the norm....we are a state made up of consumers, trying to keep up with the Joneses! Not the lifestyle I want to live.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace said:
I am in SD.
I am on a suburban lot but am trying to be as self sufficient as I can in my setting....I have a nice sized garden and try to cook from scratch, keep a full pantry and reduce my waste and my energy usage. I have a rabbit and worms to compost our edible trash. Not much but I am learning as I go :)
Trying to live simply in CA is not the norm....we are a state made up of consumers, trying to keep up with the Joneses! Not the lifestyle I want to live.
So where abouts are you? You know in North County there are a lot of us who are living simply, or making a considerable effort at it. I have worms also and was just reading about rabits last night.

May be you could fill me in on how long it takes to compost the poop, I hear is is the best for your garden.

Anyways good to hear from you.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Dace said:
I am in SD.
So where abouts are you? You know in North County there are a lot of us who are living simply, or making a considerable effort at it. I have worms also and was just reading about rabits last night.

May be you could fill me in on how long it takes to compost the poop, I hear is is the best for your garden.

Anyways good to hear from you.
I am in Scripps, much further from simple living than I would like. :(
Bunnies are great, and worms love bunny poo! I put the poo in the compost pile, in the worm bin, in the soil prior to planting, add it to a gallon of water and let steep for 24 hours then pour on the garden.
Check out this link...it was my original plan although we have not made it yet. http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2003/01/10/2957/

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, that is an amazing web site and story. I have a ton of reading to do there. I allways keep thinking that my true homesead woud be 100 acres in Colorado. Maybe I need to pay more attention to the two I have here in Vista. I have fruit trees, gardens, chickens etc but the whole energy thing.. That one throws me for a loop. Research reasearch reasearch....

Thanks for the rabit link, do you know if it's shaded? My worms currently live in our realatively cool garage. I didn't think they would fair well outside. Maybe in winter?

gina

HippiAiti

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in CA. In the Sili-Valley, a very unlikely place for someone like me. I'm still trying to figure out why I agreed to move here. Anyways, we're working on getting out of the city and on land of our own in the Santa Cruz Mtns.

I consider myself a "homesteader-in-training" :)

Latest posts