Anyone in California??

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
California is a naturally great place to be- right now I hope that people down south are able to "farm" solar power and send it north to us here. We have lots of water that is already diverted to the central part of the state- San Francisco- Sacramento areas but we don't get anything but grief in return- Solar's not so good here because the winter is so wet and foggy. It would be great to get some of the benefits of all that sourthern sun.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wow, that is an amazing web site and story. I have a ton of reading to do there. I allways keep thinking that my true homesead woud be 100 acres in Colorado. Maybe I need to pay more attention to the two I have here in Vista. I have fruit trees, gardens, chickens etc but the whole energy thing.. That one throws me for a loop. Research reasearch reasearch....

Thanks for the rabit link, do you know if it's shaded? My worms currently live in our realatively cool garage. I didn't think they would fair well outside. Maybe in winter?

gina
I have read that in our climate (I know you swing a bit more in the highs and lows than I do) they should be outside aslong as they are shaded. The one in the link is underthe bunny hutch so I assume it is shaded...pretty brilliant set up huh?
I just love that family and their web site...here is their YouTube which I just LOVE!! This is what started me on my dream of a more SS lifestyle.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPEBM5ol0Q

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Cool website on that link! Will have to take some time and peruse their site. Rabbits place looked a little too clean to be real....my rabbits sprayed pee everywhere!

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi,
I live in California, in the Foothills above Chico. We have 3 acres of basically scrub brush, manzanita and poison oak!
I've lived all over California in my life, including Humboldt County, traveling the Redwoods and the Avenue of the Giants all the time, and spent years living in Los Angeles, West Covina, San Diego, Santee, El Cajon, Lakeside, and now Chico/Forest Ranch. I've been here now for 23 years, and I dont plan to leave!
I would like to find ways to be more productive on our property.
Tina/tfpets

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Welcome tfpets :welcome - reading your post, I immediately thought that goats would love to eat your poison oak. Of course, you can't love on your goats until they have cleaned all up.
I love manzanita- although I realize it has a high fire danger, it is a very pretty bush.
I'm in Humboldt Co now and love where I live too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. There are many smart and informative people around here who will love to help you. Just hang around awhile.

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Welcome tfpets :welcome - reading your post, I immediately thought that goats would love to eat your poison oak. Of course, you can't love on your goats until they have cleaned all up.
I love manzanita- although I realize it has a high fire danger, it is a very pretty bush.
I'm in Humboldt Co now and love where I live too.
Thank you for the welcome!

I do have a little pygmy goat! She thinks she's too precious to eat the poison oak though. Prefers All Stock and Cob with Molasses. My bad for spoiling her. And I already love her, so it's too late. She lost a baby a few weeks ago, so we're just happy she's alive. We lost her sister and another kid also (The man we bought her from in June had bred them way too young, in my opinion).

We survived the Humboldt Fire here this summer, we were evacuated for a week, so I know about how dangerous that brush is...we keep a large part of it cleared now!

Humboldt County is the greatest place on earth! I just have to live here! But I try to get "home" to my sisters in Redway a few times a year, and we go to several events over there, we geocache and have car shows, and I go to poultry shows, etc!! Humboldt County is where I feel at home too!!
Tina/tfpets

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hello and welcome. There are many smart and informative people around here who will love to help you. Just hang around awhile.
Thank you! I am soaking it all in! So much to absorb!
Great to meet you!
Tina/tfpets

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ALSO live around Frazier Park! Small world!
We have a five acre ranch, we are just starting out. We have chickens, I make all of our baked goods, have the first garden going, this spring we will be making several more.

Monica

Latest posts