Anyone looking for a great dog... pit bulls that need a home ASAP

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are 7 pit bulls in Ontario, Canada that are looking for new homes... all 7 were in a shelter, but are illegal dogs in that province. The shelter has a week to find homes for them.

Shelter is paying for the plane tickets to whereever the dogs need to go, they had 10 and three are heading for New York. Dogs are all males, neutered. I have the temperment test results for several of them, but most appear shy. Since they are illegal dogs there, they aren't put up for adoption and it's a no kill shelter so a few have been in the kennels for YEARS... (this is why I don't like no kill shelters, but that's another kettle of fish)

Anyway, here are the dogs that need homes:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=197260&id=655305518&l=34373b22bd

My favourite... Pumba, 6 years old, neutered, passed temperment test with flying colours:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5307153&l=f5820c027b&id=655305518

Edited to add: The shelter is being restructured, and pit bulls are no longer welcome... workers don't want the dogs to die.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm working on hubby to foster Pumba until a home can be found (and if anyone wants to foster a dog, that's available too... there are interviews and reference checks though)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
There are lots of pibbles here in my town. And my friend in Sarnia jsut got one last year Are you sure that all of Ontario is banning pit bulls? I remember a battle a while ago in Windsor, Windsor lost, but other municipalities I thought still accepted them.

I hate the ban, it makes NO sense. Even if we could take them here where I live, which I might look into, my dogs are old and I don't think they would accept a new couch mate readily. I truly hope they find homes.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pit bull bans totally burn my toast. It's insane that dogs are held responsible for their actions but people are not.
/soapbox :old

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
There are lots of pibbles here in my town. And my friend in Sarnia jsut got one last year Are you sure that all of Ontario is banning pit bulls? I remember a battle a while ago in Windsor, Windsor lost, but other municipalities I thought still accepted them.

I hate the ban, it makes NO sense. Even if we could take them here where I live, which I might look into, my dogs are old and I don't think they would accept a new couch mate readily. I truly hope they find homes.
Yep, they are all illegal in all of Ontario now... dogs that were within the province and registered with animal control are grandfathered in, but any pit bull, or mix of pit bull either brought into the province or born after fall of 2005 can be confiscated and the dogs are either euthanized or sold to animal research labs... unless they are confiscated by an compassionate AC officer, then they are secreted to a rescue and flown out of the province (that's where we've gotten all of our foster dogs, they were all either strays or confiscated pit bulls from Ontario) Our dog Carrie is one of them... she's half pit bull and half lab but she looked too much like a pit bull to be allowed to stay in Ontario.

So only grandfathered ones can stay (muzzled in public and never off-leash), but others can't. Older ones found as strays are usually assumed to be illegal ones.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How sad :( This is the first time in over 30 years that I haven't had a Pit Bull under my roof. I do wish I could take one or two of those beautiful dogs.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I shouldn't have looked, but I did. The one with the black muzzle and the helicopter ears is adorable!! :love

(The fourth one down in the line-up, from left to right.)