Anyone make their own pasta?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
LOL, he chicken!! you dont' need a yogurt maker to maker to make yogurt, but since ou are here-- it is only ust starting!!! Enjoy the madness!!!!

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
carolb5 said:
cuallaidh,
May I ask what kind of pasta maker you have? I have been hand rolling my egg roll skins and I know the pasta maker would be better. Thanks Carol
I can't recall the brand, I'll check it out when I get home from work tonight and post tonight or tomorrow.

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I use a Shule pasta machine.... got it for Xmas and I absolutely love it.... I am told it was quite affordable.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our first pasta machine was a hand crank machine about four inches wide we found at a yard sale for less than $5. We found a wider one at a different garage sale several years later, invested $3 in that one and gave the first pasta machine to our neighbor. Then at yet again a different yard sale we found the pasta attachment for a Kitchenaid mixer so we invested $15 in that. ($15 is "big money" at yard sales.) It is incredibly easy to make pasta with the motorized pasta roller/cutter and as Squegee (sorry, I'm sure that's spelled wrong) mentioned, adding herbs and spices to the pasta improves it to no end. I like adding sage to chicken noodles and oregano/basil to spaghetti noodles.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I so want to try making pasta as my "new skill" for this year. (well, along with home made lotions) My father -the cook in my family- had THREE pasta machines (I have no idea why) and got rid of the 2 he didn't want when they moved to a smaller house. Without even asking me if I wanted one! Hmmph. What kind of parents would do that? ;) We have a fancy schmancy kitchen store in town and their hand cranked machines are Italian and fairly pricey. I can't wait till yard sale season.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A "recipe" I use for pasta is to crack an egg into the mixer bowl, add in two tablespoons of broth/water/milk/coffee (whatever liquid I either have at hand or think will go good with the pasta recipe I plan to use), a pinch of salt and can also add herbs, a tiny bit of oil, a bit of sugar, liquid flavorings, etc., all dependent on what end result is wanted. Then that is all mixed together - usually I use the paddle attachment on the kitchen aid mixer. Then add in flour until it becomes a very stiff dough. Then put the pasta attachment onto the Kitchenaid mixer or use the hand cranked pasta machine or roll it out on a tabletop. I've noticed a difference between rolling it out only once on the pasta machine and leaving it thick - that sort of ends in a home made/hand made type noodle or sending it through the pasta machine multiple times and usually a bit thinner each time. Usually folding it over before sending it through again. This results in a harder more commercial type noodle.

Some interesting variations is to make chocolate flavored noodles and wrap them around a sweet bean paste filling for dessert ravioli or to make oregano/basil flavored spaghetti or sage flavored flat noodles for chicken soup. I also use the pasta attachment to roll out cracker dough.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm going to make some pasta for the first time today! I plan to use a Mario Batali recipe. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I thought I owned a pasta attachment for my kitchenaid. I was mistaken. I ran over to the store and picked up the attachment. STICKER SHOCK! :th That better be some frickin awesome pasta.

I ended up making tagliatelle (fettucine) with 5 eggs and 550 grams of flour, and 1/2 tsp of salt. It's a gorgeous color. I'm just waiting for the water to boil because I can't wait to taste it. I ran it on number 6, which isn't the thinnest but I wasn't sure, for the first time, that I could run it on 8 (the finest). Next time, I'll try to get it all the way to 8.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, but I'm lazy. I really wanted to use the KitchenAid attachment. So I did.

So, the verdict is in. DH (a native Bolognese) said it was as good as the tagliatelle he's had in Bologna (where it was invented!) I think using eggs from my own chickens helps!

Just to make sure the recipe is archived:
550 grams of semolina flour
1/2 tsp salt
5 large eggs

processed to number 6 on the pasta roller, then cut with the fettucine cutter.

cooked in boiling salted water for 3 minutes.

OMG yum!