Anyone make their own pasta?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations! It really is an eye opener as to how good the homemade pasta is, isn't it? I should make it more often, but it does take a fair amount of time. But it tastes so good! Tomorrow I'm baking bread (only one time consuming kitchen thing at a time ;)), but maybe in the next few days I should dust of the pasta machine.

ETA: Tonight i'm making spaghetti squash; does that count? :lol:

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Congratulations! It really is an eye opener as to how good the homemade pasta is, isn't it? I should make it more often, but it does take a fair amount of time. But it tastes so good! Tomorrow I'm baking bread (only one time consuming kitchen thing at a time ;)), but maybe in the next few days I should dust of the pasta machine.

ETA: Tonight i'm making spaghetti squash; does that count? :lol:
The bread is already started. And my bread isn't timeconsuming at all - I do the no-knead version and it's so easy and quick.

Dh just agreed to me ordering the angelhair and pappardelle cutter attachments for the pasta machine as well. We eat a *lot* of pasta here and the fresh stuff is always way pricey. Like $6 for one meal's worth of pasta. (Compared to eating out it's a huge savings but still...)

So if I can make homemade pasta and freeze some of it, it'll work out to save us money. Especially using our own eggs for the egg pasta which is never done properly here in the US.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I too, use an old hand cranked model that I've had for years. I think the key is letting the dough rest for at least 20 minutes, like someone else posted (sorry, I forgot who). I never have any trouble with them falling apart.
I usually make a big batch, half way dry them on cooling racks, then pop them in the freezer.
I never thought about adding seasoning to the noodles! How smart is that?
And now, because of someone else's post, I'm going to have to check out how to make my own egg roll dough. I love this forum!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Anyone use the kitchen-aid pasta attachments when using gluten free flour/dough? If so how well does it work?
I am afraid to spend that much money and it not work with GF dough very well, I have made noodles and just cut them with a knife but REALLY would love to make my own macaroni, ravioli, lasagna, ect.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've never worked with gluten free anything, so no help here. But it stands to reason that if it all holds together well when you cut noodles by hand, wouldn't it work okay on the machine?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
OK, I bought my pasta machine and I have a day off- I am taking the plunge! The girls are laying and I have lots of eggs to use up, so today I try pasta :D Wish me luck- I am NOT the worlds best cook.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow I will watch this thread because I dont have time to read it all right now.

When I was little my grandma used to maker her own pasta. She used a rolling pen and spread the dough all over the kitchen table. And she took a knife and cut it into noodles. But that is all I remember of the making process.. And she no longer cooks.. So basically the only cooking advice we can get from her is her hand written recipes. :(

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
WOOT! I have pasta! :ya And it was easy! Even I didn't mess it up. I am so excited- it is hanging over the oven door handle. I made some linguini and some wider noodles. It looks so cool hanging there I am giddy! :weee

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yay Valmom! You go, girl! It's inspiring to hear how well it turned out for you.

I got a pasta roller for my birthday about (yikes) 4 years ago. Every year I have as a goal to try making pasta. Maybe this is the year? With all this inspiration, it may well be! :D

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now I'm in trouble...just what I need...another thing to make by hand that my family will demand til my dying day... :lol: