Anyone make their own pasta?

krazeepolack

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have had the hand crank pasta machine, for YEARS now. :old There are several attachments available, including an electric motor for this unit. I would much rather "roll my own", then buy the commercial junque! :duc :tongue Living in the desert makes summertime pasta drying easier. In the past, depending on locale @ the time, I've laid out pasta to dry on newspaper, clothing racks, etc. Storing it once it is thoroughly dry, I simply keep it in a large closed gallon glass jar. It's there whenever I want it. :celebrate

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Making homemade pasta is easy peasy as far as homemade delicacies are concerned. *slurp*

I buy a bag of Red Mill semolina flour and just use the simple recipe on the back of the package. I mix it up in my kitchen aid so I don't hand knead. I run it through my kitchaid pasta roller/cutter to make lasagna, spaghetti, or linguine noodles. It takes about 45 minutes to make but cooks up almost instantly. Tip: If you have duck eggs, use them for pasta.

My family goes nuts over homemade pasta. Their favorite way to eat it is simply with a little butter and parsley. I make it as needed. I don't store it but keep a supply of semolina flour in the pantry at all times. :)

We keep a few bags of whole wheat pasta for faster meals but packaged pasta is nowhere near as good as fresh.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Has anyone made homemade GF pasta? I don't care what it looks like as long as it tastes good....I have a lasagna recipe I want to do but couldn't find any GF lasagna noodles.

Help!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
i have used the brown rice noodles. I don't know where you could get them in the states, I get them at the bulk food store. Theyare awesome, and no one knew they were GF at my house. I'm sure if you wanted to make your own, you could use brown rice flour.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to try to freeze pasta dough. Seems like it wouldn't be feasible. Might as well just wait and mix it when you have the time to cut and dry it.
I have only made my own pasta once, years ago and I loved it, but I had to roll it really thin and hand cut it. I also bought some homemade pasta...really expensive and it taste like mine.
I have searched for pasta cutters before, but I'm not sure what would be a good product to buy.
I'm pretty sure I'd have to get it online because there is no way I will find it in this parish or the next.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As you can freeze the finished pasta I would think that you could also freeze the dough. On the other hand, I'm not sure that there is a good reason to do so. Once the dough is ready it isn't terribly time consuming to continue on to form and cut it. And then it can be frozen or dried, and is ready immediately when you need it. And the cooking of fresh - or homemade dried - is so quick that it really is almost an instant food, once it has been formed.

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a hand crank pasta machine and I love the pasta that cranks out of it. I've made pesto pasta and plain, it is far superior to anything you will find in the grocery stores. Lasagna noodles are silky and just amazing. I don't find making home made pasta to be all that more time consuming than dried pasta, fresh pasta takes only a minute or two in boiling water to be ready.

As for freezing the dough, I wouldn't, as others have said just finish it and dry the leftover noodles, that's what I do and it keeps us in some dried pasta as well as fresh.

carolb5

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
cuallaidh,
May I ask what kind of pasta maker you have? I have been hand rolling my egg roll skins and I know the pasta maker would be better. Thanks Carol

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You know what? I'm getting really tired of this. I was happy and content with my life and then I joined BYC and SS and read a canning thread on each. I decided I needed a canner and bid on an eBay auction, won it, and the canner arrived last week. Haven't canned anything yet - still reading the Ball Canning Bible, when I check back with SS and see a thread on Yogurt Makers. I used to have a Yogurt Maker way back when and remembered how much I enjoyed the yogurt. So I started looking at them on Amazon and eBay, trying to figure out which one I should get. And NOW I look on here and see a thread on making pasta and I'm thinking this is something else I should try! What's next?

Off to research pasta makers now......thanks a LOT. ;)