Anyone stockpiling lightbulbs?

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
They do give my Aunt migraines though so I am assuming if you have a reason you should be though ;)
migraines? is that from the lighting or something to do with the chemicals in them? just wondering because I've had a few more migraines this past year than I normally have... and when we bought the new house we switched to the CFL... Never even thought that might be the cause of my headaches... hummmm

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
sufficientforme said:
They do give my Aunt migraines though so I am assuming if you have a reason you should be though ;)
migraines? is that from the lighting or something to do with the chemicals in them? just wondering because I've had a few more migraines this past year than I normally have... and when we bought the new house we switched to the CFL... Never even thought that might be the cause of my headaches... hummmm
Honestly I am not sure she just stated they give her them, I will ask her next time I talk to her :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
CrimsonRose said:
sufficientforme said:
Honestly I am not sure she just stated they give her them, I will ask her next time I talk to her :)
Some of the CLF do flicker and that can cause problems. Unless you break a CLF the chemicals are sealed in just like they are on a regular bulb. If you break one there are all kind of nasty chemicals including Mercury vapor which are very hard to clean up. They qualify for hazardous waste, even if unbroken.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I'm finding that my CFL's aren't lasting as long as they claim either. And I only have them in lights that stay on for a while. I have regular lightbulbs in my bathroom. Also regular lights out in the barn. I found the CFL's don't do well when not in a temperature controlled area either.
I have found that the 'twisty' bulbs work best with their base down, pretty well with their base up but completely bad when on their sides.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I've stockpiled some and will be adding more. There are instances when the CFL's just stink. The light fixture on our porch works great with incandescent, but any of the CFL's that actually will fit into the fixture do not put out enough light to be useful. Also, the heat put out by the incandescent lights is useful in a lot of situations.

We use the CFL's where they work, but generally the light that they put out is fairly lousy. I have tried LED's in the past, and they generally worked ok for a little while, but then dimmed and stayed dim. Of course this was several years ago, and I believe that they may have improved them since then.

I do plan on trying LED grow lamps this winter, as I've heard that they work decent.

The whole CFL thing chaps my butt. If CFL's are so great, then the consumers would switch on their own and the Government wouldn't have to force us to switch. And don't get me started on the loss of jobs as the incandescent manufacturers closed their US plants. The dang things were invented here, for goodness sakes. Now all CFL's are made overseas and shipped here. :barnie

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Apparently it is the flicker or something that can cause the migraines. I know whenever I stay at my aunt's house, which I do about once a month for 3 or 4 days, I get at least one migraine that I think is due to the fact that all of her lights are the new type.

YourLinkGhttp://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/do-fluorescent-lights-trigger-migraines/oesHere

sufficientforme said:
CrimsonRose said:
sufficientforme said:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yeah, it's that flickering that can trigger the headaches. It also tends to drive autistics nutty. Not only can they see the flicker, they can hear it humming.

Now one good thing about the cfl's is they are awesome for starting plants. Best results I have ever had without getting sodium vapor lights (and cheaper too!).

I will make sure I have some regular bulbs for heat (quail pen, new ducklings, etc...) just in case they get really stupid about these things.

I have a feeling once they are phased out a lot of people who have never been within 10 feet of a chicken will suddenly be asking for "brooder bulbs"!

:gig

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
The whole CFL thing chaps my butt. If CFL's are so great, then the consumers would switch on their own and the Government wouldn't have to force us to switch. And don't get me started on the loss of jobs as the incandescent manufacturers closed their US plants. The dang things were invented here, for goodness sakes.
Amen, k0xxx! :duc

I admit to being caught up in the whole "saving money/using less electricity" hype until I realized they cost 3 times as much & last half as long. Looks like I'll be cleaning out W/M this weekend... :/

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
The whole CFL thing chaps my butt. If CFL's are so great, then the consumers would switch on their own and the Government wouldn't have to force us to switch. And don't get me started on the loss of jobs as the incandescent manufacturers closed their US plants. The dang things were invented here, for goodness sakes. Now all CFL's are made overseas and shipped here.
aint that right.

and yep i'm buying regular bulbs by the gross. i'm a "get a headache from them" person. and frankly i'm sick of hearing that i'm making it up. i can see the stupid things flicker!

at work i lucked out when i had a window office otherwise i brought in my own lamps. but when i'd have to go to the corp HQ i'd just about barf all day long. it was horrible... and i cant stand to be in some stores b/c of the bad lighting. i keep thinking, "cant anybody ELSE see this!?!!?"

and seriously about the job loss. wow!

the other thing they dont work at all for is the front porch especially in winter. we dont keep our light on - so if OD is out there screaming and i have to run out there in my underpants, dogs blazin'.... nothing. the stupid CFL's dont light up quickly or brightly enough for farm emergencies so i might as well just be running out there in the dark.

we use one for the hens at nite now and the hen house looks like the inside of a refrigerator.

i just hate the whole thing. grrrr.....

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Although the CFL's have their quirks, I've gotten use to them and haven't had one burn out yet (so nice not to have to change them constantly).

I'll tell you what though--my toddler broke one once (knocked the lamp over) and the haz-mat clean-up procedures are no fun. It's a very small amount of mercury, but still... They say not to use your vacuum to clean them up because it will disperse it in the air. You also have to open a bunch of windows to help it air out. You're not supposed to toss them in the trash either. You have to take them to a recycle center.

But they last long and have lowered my electricity bill some since swapping them all out, so I think it's a fair trade.