Appetite Stimulants

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Italians use bitters as an aperitivo to "open the appetite". Campari, aperol, things like that. So you might want to find something like, say, grapefruit juice and tonic water - not a lot, but like the size of a small cocktail. See if it helps.

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't really know of anything that might help but I wanted to let you know you're not alone trying to not lose weight and trying to gain.I,ve always had issues gaining,too.I was 22 when I got pregnant with my first son and I weighted 95 lbs,gained up to 124lbs when he was born and was back at 95 when I went for my 6 week check up.Did the same with my second son but gained about 5 extra pounds and was back to 95 soon after.I am now up to 112lbs and have lost 10 since summer started.I have always had days when nothing appealed to me or nothing just seemed/tasted good.I try to make myself eat at least twice a day and sometimes I can and somedays I can't.I think getting older has helped me some,I just turned 45,but I still don't eat as much as I should.I eat good,homemade and alot of homegrown but I don't gain much.I worry about getting sick or something and losing some weight.I don't have extra to lose.I know most people think its a good way to be but I don't think so.I hope you find something that works for you.:hugs

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm nice and plump myself, but I know several people who struggle to put/keep on weight, and it's a PROBLEM, just like being too fat is is a problem. People are really dismissive of it, and I think that sucks. It's no different than struggling to lose.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'll be watching No Reservations in Kurdistan tonight. Foreign food shows always seem to make me hungry, seriously!! I used to get picked on for being skinny when I was young. In MS I was constantly under attack for being anorexic, which I wasn't. I just didn't eat a lot. And my mom didn't buy junk so I was eating actual food whereas most of my friends were eating Spaghettios, Fritoes and Twinkies. I never had a Twinkie until I was in college (and I hated it!)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Abi, do you like apples? For some reason whenever I eat an apple I get hungrier than I was before I ate it!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The reason is the sugars in the apple bump your insulin levels. Then you get a little blood sugar crash afterward. Reactive hypoglycemia.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
Actually, it's more dangerous to be underweight. Per percentage. Like 10% underweight versus 10% over, you want to be over.

And yes... it gets VERY frustrating having people dismiss it because everyone wants to be skinny so I'm ungrateful, not unhealthy. Or rather, unhealthy is totally worth it! :rolleyes:
i'm also extremely underweight by modern standards and have appetite issues. =/ i'd always heard that being underweight was better than overweight though? i'd read something a while back about how people who stop eating when they feel 80% full are statistically healthier than people who eat until they feel 100% (or more) full. though i guess that doesn't necessarily translate to wether or not they are over/underweight. why is under worse than over?

sorry i don't have any advice to help. i wouldn't mind gaining 10-20 pounds myself, but i also get angry/annoyed/bored with food. the only thing that really seems to "help" me is exercise - if i've been doing lots of work outside, i tend to actually want food when i come in. but it doesn't help me gain weight. just keeps me static.