APPLE CIDER VINEGAR

erthymom2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
we use it with warm water to irrigate our dog's ears when they get that stinky, yeasty smell - couple of washes and the gunk comes out and the smell is gone. they also get it in their water dish.
dogs with floppy ears are prone to ear itchy's....and we have four with floppy ears so it's saved on our vet bill.
BTW - it ALWAYS is a good idea to have the vet check 'em out if they are cronicly scratching and digging at their ears.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
erthymom2 said:
we use it with warm water to irrigate our dog's ears when they get that stinky, yeasty smell - couple of washes and the gunk comes out and the smell is gone. they also get it in their water dish.
dogs with floppy ears are prone to ear itchy's....and we have four with floppy ears so it's saved on our vet bill.
BTW - it ALWAYS is a good idea to have the vet check 'em out if they are cronicly scratching and digging at their ears.
How do you do this? Details, please! I have a poodle, I use dampened gauze, but I like the irrigation idea....

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
erthymom2 said:
How do you do this? Details, please! I have a poodle, I use dampened gauze, but I like the irrigation idea....
And what are the proportions of vinegar to water?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
hoosier girl said:
For Tony...his #1 is 100% George's Organic Aloe Vera Juice. He had IBS type problems with tons of heartburn, he now drinks a small glass each day and he is fixed. None of the problems that were so horrible before this. I researched it on the internet and it said aloe vera heals the linings of the tummy and intestines and by goodness if it didn't work so well for him. Off all medications that didn't work anyway.
This is really good info for me! I have really bad heartburn, & my doc gave me a bunch of prevacid samples. I'm going to have to find where they sell aloe vera juice in these parts. I'd much rather take that then a prescription. This might be a stretch, but does anyone know how to make aloe vera juice? I have 2 BIG aloe plants here in the house.
You might just try peeling and juicing the leaves. I read somewhere that there is a caustic layer in the outer leaves that is centrifuged out with the better brands, but don't have firsthand experience with making it. I buy mine online, not the cheapest, but works like a dream. You will need to flavor it, at least I can't take the taste of the plain juice. It is amazing stuff.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
turney31 said:
one part white vinegar nine parts water
Thanks, love your signature line!!!

Um.....how does one do the actual irrigating? What do you use to get it into the ear, and do you put the dog in the tub so as not to make a mess? Or do it outside? Clueless here, but game to try!

I am picturing myself with full rain gear, struggling with my 30 lb poodle, squirting the mix into his ear and on his face and on me and everywhere with a dishsoap bottle, and him shaking his head and gunk flying everywhere! Eeewwww!

erthymom2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
to use the ACV & water ear treatment, i lay him down on his side, and using a small syring (w/o the needle of course) i slowly spray the warmed vin/water mixture into his ear, rub the ear gently to get it around the nooks and cranys inside the ear. he will sit up and shake his head (wear an old shirt for cover cause it'll come out all over you & anyone else in the area!!).

You may want to use some treats as incentive the first few times. my st. bernad lay on his side eyeing a piece of pepperoni worked for us.....

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I just read a book my granny has. The Vinegar Book. I don't know who the author is off the top of my head but it has some great information in it. Tells you how to make acv and uses for white vinegar as well. I want to get a copy for myself. I plan on looking for it later today.
mine says BrAGG APPLE cider VINEGAR HEALTH SYSTEM,AT HEALTH SCIENCE, Santa Barbara Calif 93102 but mine is an old book might try googling first to see if its still there. and I drink My brags ACV in Rasberry tea. marrie

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
My best fix....I do alot of natural things but my top one is.....organic black cherry juice. Takes the stiff out of the joints.....what a wonder for me. I buy a concentrated bottle at the health food store, mix with water and enjoy a large delish glass each morning. Honestly, if I go 3-4 days without it, I am stiff as a board in the morning, with it, no stiffness. The difference is huge for me!!! I am one of the lucky ones that it triggers great anti-inflammatory help for me.
FarmerChick: what is the mix ratio (parts of water to parts of juice)
that you use? thanks, chris