Are all cast iron pans created equal?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have several older ones, but am in need of a big pan, and I;m also looking for a big pot. Any names bettet than others?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Griswold but it can be pretty spendy depending on what your needs are. Wagner Ware is pretty good stuff adn lot cheaper than Griswold. As far as newer stuff, I have a couple of pieces of Lodge that I like pretty well.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of my pans are Lodge because I have bought them new. Actually the two I bought used are Lodge as well. Humm??

I will need to track down a Griswold for comparison.

Do you know if the Griswold and Wagner are still being manufactured?

gina

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just don't buy the ones they sell at the grocery store or walmart...they're about $12 to $15 but they never season well. They're made in China...you want to buy American made...from the little that I know anyway...which isn't much:>) I actually look for the 'good ones' at thrift stores...you can tall right away whether they have been well seasoned...LOL!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Just don't buy the ones they sell at the grocery store or walmart...they're about $12 to $15 but they never season well. They're made in China...you want to buy American made...from the little that I know anyway...which isn't much:>) I actually look for the 'good ones' at thrift stores...you can tall right away whether they have been well seasoned...LOL!
We're looking online--hubby has a PO box in Detroit, he can pop over there after work one day and pick it up. (saves alot of $) Hubs was looking at several different sites, but i wanted to know the consensus here as to whether or not there are differences between the brands. Chatham doesn't have much to offer as to selection, windsor has several over priced shops that sell kitchen items. So the alternative is risking buying over the 'net.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
My WM sells the Lodge. Made in Tenn. They sure weren't 12 bucks. I guess maybe they don't all carry the same pans.

gina

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
MorelCabin said:
My WM sells the Lodge. Made in Tenn. They sure weren't 12 bucks. I guess maybe they don't all carry the same pans.

gina
Yep, the Walmarts around here all carry Lodge, too. When we got to Tennessee there's a Lodge outlet somewhere near my inlaws, I've always wanted to pick up a good fry pan, this visit I think I will.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a smaller Lodge pan and a Lodge dutch oven, both of which I love. My parents bought me a Cusinart, glazed cast iron pan. Its the kind that you can wash and don't have to season and its okay :/ It doesn't have the opportunity to be seasoned and to be quite honest, since it can't, I find it hard to call it a cast iron pan!

I bought my Lodge pan @ Walmart and ordered my dutch oven over Amazon. I like the Lodge brand since its made in the US and has been around for years. Also, since my order was over $25 on Amazon, they shipped that heavy, cast iron dutch oven for free :thumbsup

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Lodge is the only cast iron still made in America. I have LOTS of Lodge and really love the stuff. The only other cast iron I have is some hand-me-down from Grandma Nettie. There is no name stamp on any of it.

Another good place to buy cast iron is second hand stores or garage sales. Just look for a nice solid heavy pan - rust can be delt with! Lots of people get rid of cast iron when they get old and the pans get too heavy or when they by a new fangled glass top stove.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Exactly!

I have been hounding Craigslist for pans. I actually found a guy about an hour away. He's a Veteran and has a industrial warehouse. Not sure what else he does but he has at least 100 pans. He post them on CL. I think next time I am up that way I may check him out.

amazon and free shipping, now that a good idea. :D

gina