Are all cast iron pans created equal?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have been scouring the second hand stores, and kijiji. However, I don't get to town often, and there is never anything there. also, what I am looking for is a bigfry pan--about 17 inches or so and also a dutch oven. I would think that they aren't very popular. I will look into Lodge. And, I haven't looked at Walmart, mainly b/c I strongly dislike the store.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have Lodge too, but also a set called "Lewis & ClarK - corp of discovery" from a company called Camp Chef, I think. The dutch oven that came with the set has little legs. When I first met my DH, I found it in his backyard in horrible condition. Apparantly he thought that to clean them after use, you just throw them in the fire and let everything burn off. He's sooooo cute! :smack

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I have been scouring the second hand stores, and kijiji. However, I don't get to town often, and there is never anything there. also, what I am looking for is a bigfry pan--about 17 inches or so and also a dutch oven. I would think that they aren't very popular. I will look into Lodge. And, I haven't looked at Walmart, mainly b/c I strongly dislike the store.
I bought my 15 fry pan at WalMart. In our area you can buy on line and have it delivered to the store for free. You could try that if they don't have them in stock. I love the pan it's huge. Cabelas and Lehman's both carry the 15" skillet as well. Oh and the Amazon thing sounded great with free shipping.

I like cooking the food for our family of 5 all at once. That way its all done at the same time. :D

good luck

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been hunting for used without much success also. I ended up buying a 5 qt dutch oven at Target (in store), it is available at Amazon for 23.99. They also have a combo pan 3 qt. fryer (the lid is also a small fry pan) for 34.99 free shipping. The plain lodge cast iron is made in USA still however the enameled line of lodge is not. I notice on my new pan that it is not as smooth of a finish as the older Lodge pans I own, probably a change is supply of materials over the years, but the seasoning was fine with little rust that most complain about when receiving. I am going to try garage sales this coming summer for more pieces.

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello folks,
New here!...I come from the Chicken forum.. (BYC)

The topic of cast iron pans, was too much for me to resist not registering and posting on this forum.. (Very much have enjoyed browsing and reading Self sufficient the last few weeks.):D

So Cast iron.. We use 100% vintage cast iron and vintage copper cookware in our house. (No teflon stuff.) I have been a fanatic collector for some years know. (Buying pieces in poor condition, refurbishing them and then reselling.)

In my opinion....all cast iron has not been created equal. Again my opinion as a user and collector is most everything US made pre WWII will be superior quality, and hold or gain in value over the years.

I personally am into the very late 1800's or early 1900's Griswold. (and pre-griswold "erie" stuff.) The iron is phenomenal! Thin, quality castings are what I look for.

Where to find them. Auctions, flea markets, Antique stores and eBay has a huge market. Griswold with the large cross logo is the most collected. (1930's -1940's era) I personally like some of the earlier stuff, which has good iron and not quite as high priced.) Expect to pay more than you will for a new Lodge or china made pan. However, you can consider your cookware as an investment that will hold or increase in value. (Not the case with new stuff from the store.)

For everyday use (or those with tight budgets like me). I would recommend buying imperfect pieces made by Griswold or Sydney or Wagner Ware made pre WWII. (Hairline cracks, pitted bottoms obscuring logo, rust or dirty pans, at discounted prices and then restoring them yourself.) Avoid warped pans!

I would be happy explain the restoration process (electrolysis) to anyone that wants to learn.. Or for that matter help out with the different logos and brands of old cast iron.

Yes, I highly recommend getting some of the old dutch ovens too. We tossed out all our "new" pots and only use the old dutch ovens or old copper pots.

Anyway I better stop here...

ON

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hey ON, welcome! How is cooking on copper? I have never cooked in a copper pot. As for the cast iron, I'm kind of in need of it right now, or yesterday :p, so while I always keep my open if and when I do go to places like auctions and flea markets. I don't do Ebay. So, as far as new ones go, what would you recommend. Hubs was thinking of taking a trip across the border to Cabela's if we can't find one online that we like.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey ON!! :frow Welcome to the forum. :)

I have some vintage/antique(?) cast iron with the letter "Y" on the bottom and thenumber "8" on the handle. Do you know what that means?

I love cast iron too and I have all kinds. What do you mean by "warped". Are you refering to manufacturing flaws or warped from use?

(I have a nice copper pan that I found at a resale shop. It is small, but very useful.)

ETA: ON, please add any of your cast iron cooking recipes here: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4305 I'm always looking for ideas!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome ON. Thanks for the advice. Can yo post a picture of the Cross Griswold logo you mentioned above?

thanks, gina

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome!
Miss thenorth,
We have old heavy dovetailed copper pots, they are great,,, they heat evenly and things do not stick. Most of my copper needs to be re-tinned. (That is how we are able to afford vintage copper..) I have the supplies but have not done it yet.
As for new, Lodge is the most popular. Try to pick one with the smoothest interior. If you are up for it wet sand it some more and then season it real well. (I do it on an outdoor fire with thick gloves, putting cooking grease on steel wool and rubbing it in while the pan is VERY hot. (Too stinky to do in the house.)

big brown horse,
The 8 is the size a number 8 skillet. (Common size, very handy) They Y I am not sure about. Warped, as in from misuse. If you put cold water in a hot skillet it can warp. A warped skillet is annoying because it does not sit flat on the stove top..
Recipes...Hmmm most everything we make in a pan or pot is in cast iron, from scrambled eggs to steamed fish with brown jasmine rice.. to Popovers in a cast iron muffin pan.. (I will try and see what I can come up with..)
TanksHill,
Here is a link to a great site with ALL the Griswold logos and lots of info about them.
http://www.griswoldcookware.com/undersatnding_griswold.htm

.............Using cast iron definitely has a learning curve. From proper seasoning (Burning oil onto the cast iron) to using the right heat when cooking so things do not stick to cleaning the pan. Lots to learn but well worth it!
Best to all!
ON