Are all cast iron pans created equal?

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info ON. I will continue to use until it leaks, then I will just put it on a shelf and remember the good ol days (of course while I am cooking on a replacement I buy that still is good).
My griddle I received fom my mother also and it has the "smoke" ring. I will see how it works. Thanks Feemotion for your input!
I tell ya what, there realy is nothing better than good ol' AMERICAN iron!

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Be careful when seasoning in fire, as metal can actually burn and get brittle. You don't want to see it glow at all, so don't put it in there and walk away, even for a few minutes.
Agreed!!!!
I always watch over mine, use soft woods and wait for charcoal.

Toss that in a real coal fire and walk away the iron will be ruined....
on

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What about the brand Findlay?? For 40 bucks? Found one online, interested. I would like to stop cooking in toxic no stick pans.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Organics North said:
meriruka
To season it build a fire, get yourself some thick insulated gloves. Toss it in the fire, pull it out when smoking hot and rub lard or oil on the inside and outside with a piece of steel wool. Be prepared the steel wool can catch on fire! (You want the iron that hot) move your hand fast, apply thin coats. Toss back in the fire and repeat, until the depth of finish desired is reached..

I vote for no plants in it.. Season it and treasure it. It can be fun to use and will only go up in value!!!

Good buy!
Thanks, I'll give it a shot in Spring. This has the potential to really amuse my neighbors. last time I set a fire to burn a brush pile, my neighbor drove up and hollered, (he always hollers at me) "YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO BUILD A PROPER FIRE!" I said, "Well of course I don't, Bob, when you set fire to something in the city, it's called ARSON".
Funny how when I lived in the city, people thought I was smart & on top of my game, here they treat me like a deranged 10 year old and keep a constant watch on me. They'll love to see me chucking pots into a fire holding a handful of flaming steel wool.:D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Isn't it nice to have people watching over you! OK so maybe they are staring and laughing some of the time - in the city they won't even make eye contact, much less "holler at you."

I think you are lucky. You should make them all a treat. Homemade bread and jam anyone?

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know I'm truly blessed with great neighbors, they love watching the crazy yankee but they are just the sweetest , most helpful people in the world who would do anything for you. I can't say they aren't justified, a lot of the stuff I do has the potential to leave me broken & bleeding on the lawn. Everybody gets free eggs, jars of homemade dill pickles and whatever they want from the garden.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
meriruka said:
Organics North said:
meriruka
To season it build a fire, get yourself some thick insulated gloves. Toss it in the fire, pull it out when smoking hot and rub lard or oil on the inside and outside with a piece of steel wool. Be prepared the steel wool can catch on fire! (You want the iron that hot) move your hand fast, apply thin coats. Toss back in the fire and repeat, until the depth of finish desired is reached..

I vote for no plants in it.. Season it and treasure it. It can be fun to use and will only go up in value!!!

Good buy!
Thanks, I'll give it a shot in Spring. This has the potential to really amuse my neighbors. last time I set a fire to burn a brush pile, my neighbor drove up and hollered, (he always hollers at me) "YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO BUILD A PROPER FIRE!" I said, "Well of course I don't, Bob, when you set fire to something in the city, it's called ARSON".
Funny how when I lived in the city, people thought I was smart & on top of my game, here they treat me like a deranged 10 year old and keep a constant watch on me. They'll love to see me chucking pots into a fire holding a handful of flaming steel wool.:D
Hey I may have to use that line with my husband, he is always mocking my methods and that was too funny!

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't mind neighbors as long as they are over 1/4 mile away and a forest is between us..... If I had closer neighbors I am positive they would have me locked up in the loony bin....:D
Way too many out of the social norm activities goin on around here..;)

ON

Barbaramum

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, Can anyone tell me anything about Chatham Cast iron cookware?
I acquired a pan at auction, It has a logo of a flying duck with a moon behind it. Someone on Craigslist told me it was Chatham. I know nothing of this brand. I can tell you that it is a small fry pan and is quite weighty, but would appreciate more info on the company itself and the quality of their cast iron cookware.
Where does it compare to say Griswold, Wagner, Lodge?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome!

I have never heard of the brand, but there is a city named Chatham 20 minutes fro me (lol). FWIW, I have several old cast iron pans whose identity will always be a mystery, but they work fine.

In response to my OP, i ended up buying a lodge, and I love it, but I woul d be happy with any cst iron pan, I belive, if I aquired it cheaply from an auction--good quality or not.